Help!

roadrider

Recruit
Hello all, my name is Frank this is my first post, I have a 2004 Mercury 150HP O/B w/ carbs, Starter and solenoid are seperate units. it was running last November when I winterized it. I tried to start it and all I am getting is a whirrling from the starter. The motor turns free by hand, batteries are charged to 14.1 and 13.9 volts respectively. Cleaned all terminal connections @ batteries, starter, and solenoid. Same problem, starter just whirls, drive gear does not pop up to engage the flywheel, I hooked up a multi meter from the battery post of the starter andother end to to one of the battery ground post's, meter shows between 10 and 12 volt draw of the starter when I hit the key. I ordered a new starter and solenoid, installed both replacement parts, same thing happens, starter just whirls not engageing the flywheel. I removed new starter. Took both new and old starters to the work bench, hooked up a battery charger and a remote start switch, positive cable of charger to the remote switch, remote switch to the positive terminal on the starter, negative cable from battery charger to the ground on the starter, starter whirls drive does not pop out (both starters) attched clamp meter around positive cable, starters are drawing between 10 and 11.8: volts on the bench when remote switch is pushed. Are both starters bad? Am I missing something else? Kill switch is in the run position, shifter is in netural. :confused:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help!

Only one of two things is happening. 1) Batteries do not measure 14.1 OR 13.9 volts. It isn't possible unless the batteries are on a charger when being measured. So you are either reading voltage wrong or the meter is bad. The point here is that you may have a bad battery and are just not reading voltage properly. 2) Both bendix are stuck on the shaft. You should be able to turn the bendix backwards by hand to run it up the shaft. The grooves in the shaft need to be clean and not gunked up with grease. A burr on the nubs in the bendix that run in those grooves could also make it not work.

roadrider

Recruit

Silvertip, thanks for the reply. The batteries were charged then installed in the boat, albeit the meter is old. I will recheck the grooves, and load test the batteries. The only other thoughts are to start testing the NSswitch, ignition, and battery switch, other then that I am completely baffled

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It would be a good idea to also take all connections of the big battery cables off, scrub the connections shiny and reconnect.

The tiniest amount of hidden corrosion in that circuit can cause the starter to not have enough power to engage the starter or start the outboard.

Lakemeadan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you have two good Starter Motors but one bad starter solenoid that won't kick the bendix gear forward to engage the flywheel gear before the motor spins. Did you buy a starter that didn't come with a solenoid attached to it?