3.0l LX Merc Trouble Starting (pics and video)

brsox88

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I bought this 1996 Monterey 180 this past winter, owner had receipts showing it was always marina maintained. Looks like it hadn't been started since 2009 however. Owner stated it had carb issues with idling, but was fixed by the marina by ultrasonic cleaning it and tuning it a bit.

So I went to start it the other day, long story short it wasnt getting gas. Replaced pump and its fine now. Started up after getting gas into the carb with quite a few cranks. It would only stay running though if I gave it a little throttle. It eventually stalled as I wasnt keeping up with the throttling it needed. It wouldn't start back up so I replaced the plugs from NGK TR5's to NGK BPR6EFS's which are specified for my 3.0l LX with Digital Ignition System. Now it wont start still but acts like it wants to start when I give it a little throttle and let it turn over quite a few times, just never gets the final kick to start. After pulling the cover on the carb, you can see in the video there is a pool of gas sitting in the carb, thats probably not normal? I pull the plugs and they look pretty dry too..

Where do I start? Do you think the plugs are the right gap, maybe the carb is dirty again from sitting for 2 years (however it was running for a minute or two while I was throttling it) or maybe its not getting enough gas again? I have attached pictures and a video to help.

VIDEO STARTING: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqrm7NDkMTM
VIDEO CARB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcfqWWR8-ZM

Attachments

• IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0

JWebber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 3.0l LX Merc Trouble Starting (pics and video)

Are you running two year old sitting gas? If so might be the problem, also check fuel filter up at the carb. Since you replaced the fuel pump that filter is new but running old gas thru the system will clog stuff up. Water in Fuel? Also looking at video with gas in the carb might be flooding too!

brsox88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are those spark plugs right? So you think changing the gas out, new fuel filter (is there one in the carb? as there is no filter anywhere close to the carb, but there is one down next to the fuel pump), and what would I do if it is flooding, which I would doubt considering the plugs are bone dry when I pull them)

dubs283

Vice Admiral

according to your flame arrestor cover the proper plugs are AC-MR42LTS and the gap is .035"

there is a fliter in the carb where the fuel line attaches

if you are getting that much fuel down the throats when not running the carb has an issue and probably needs a good cleaning/rebuild - its flooding the engine

brsox88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What carb rebuild kit do I need? There seems to be quite a few, I just want to make sure I get the right one for the 1996 3.0LX.

CobiaXL

Banned

Raw fuel in carb isn't good.Check fuel pressure,if between 4-6 lbs move onto float level.Then needle and seat in carb,could be some dirt stuck in seat...Any of the one of them will allow fuel to dump in carb.

brsox88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont have the gauge to check the fuel pressure, nor have I ever done that before. What fuel gauge tool do you use?

CobiaXL

Banned

Local auto parts have inline fuel pressure gauges.Cut your fuel line right before carb and plumb in the fuel pressure gauge.

fishrdan

Admiral

Cut your fuel line right before carb

DON'T cut the fuel line to splice in a pressure gauge. Remove the fuel line from the carb and figure out how to temporarily rig up a fuel gauge. The gauge only needs to be there for a short period of time to test the fuel pressure, and you don't want to be hacking up a perfectly good metal fuel line.