bilge pump replacement

pfitz128

Cadet
All, I have a 24 ft sea ray sundancer, I would like information on removing/replacing the aft bilge pump, can I do this while it is in the water, or Do I have to pull it out of the water

GMIslander

Seaman Apprentice
Re: bilge pump replacement

You should be able to do it while afloat.
Just be sure the discharge is above the surface which it would be unless you were somewhat submerged.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Why are you replacing it? Dont know about yours but mine is a cartridge style with the base being screwed to the bilge and the pump slides into it. All I would have to do is buy the same style and connect the wires, then slide the new one into the base. If you have to change the whole thing, you'll have to remove the base and screw another one in its place (seal the old holes with 4200 or similar) but the wires should be the same. Just make sure you connect the pos and neg the right way or the pump will run backwards! When you have it installed, dump enough water in the bilge to submerge it and turn it on to make sure it pumps out.

nlain

Commander

Having just replaced my bildge pump, if you get the same brand and size, you pop one out of the base and snap the new one in the base, then connect the wires, no it is not quite that easy, but that is what you have to do.