60 hp Johnson continuous beep.

radman1420

Recruit
I have a 60hp Johnson on my 16' lowe aluminum boat. I just recently got this boat and the previous owner said it has only been ran 2 times in 3 years. Put new fuel in and made sure oil level was good then hit the water. The motor ran so so for about a half hour. bad idle initially then it felt like it was starting to clear the more I ran it. About 1 hour of running I stopped and jumped in the water for about 30 minutes to cool down and when turning the key to start up a constant beep was piercing my ears. I read on the side of driver console that it was a high temp condition if you had near max performance. This had me stumped because I was constantly checking to make sure the motor was spitting water and it was always spraying a strong stream. So my question is where should I start in trying to get this boat fixed to get back on the water. I'm wondering if it has a oil flow problem? Thanks in advance for the help.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 60 hp Johnson continuous beep.

What year, model number?
Usually a steady horn is an over heat condition. If it has been run that few times in three years I would suggest replacing the impeller in the water pump as a matter of service.

cdn-pk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

more info is need, year, model. does it have the VRO pump. my VRO oil tank level sensor malfunctioned and it caused a steady beep. i've disconnected it for now but will try and repair in the off season.

did it still do this the next day/ after a complete cool down of the motor?

radman1420

Recruit

I will get the year and model number off the engine today and yes next day without even starting the engine I turned the key and it was still a steady tone.

radman1420

Recruit

I didnt see a year on the motor but here is the model # VJ60TLETD serial # 03269232