It is FINISHED!!!!!!!!!

LV2FISH4CATS

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, I have post a few time on telling about my very first motor rebuild. It is a 1977 Evinrude 140hp V4. First a few things that I did. I found that the seller I got the boat from was not as honest as one would like. But I can not blame him for my ignorance. I should have checked a few things before I bought the boat( ie compression) but this is my first learning experience I mean boat. ha ha... After I bought the boat I was informed that BOAT stood for Bring Out Another Thousand. Ha Ha anyway I found a burnt piston... looked like a melted ball of aluminum. So started the year long project. The cylinder was scared so I sent the block to be bored found new pistons,rings, bearings gasket set and everything one could ask for to rebuild a motor I even did my first aluminum welding and put a new skeg on. But the most important thing I found was this forum. There is a lot of very good people with a lot of knowledge that they are willing to share. It was a little rough when I first posted in the wrong area and asked the wrong questions... but with a little patience I did get to the right people and get all the right answers. so after the rebuild and new paint here is the pics of my first... rebuild.

Attachments

• IMG_2562.jpg
    IMG_2562.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2563.jpg
    IMG_2563.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2566.jpg
    IMG_2566.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2569.jpg
    IMG_2569.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: It is FINISHED!!!!!!!!!

VERY nice job, looks great and I bet it runs great also. With little TLC that motor should last you a long time.

LV2FISH4CATS

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks....It seems to run pretty good..... have not run it at any real RPMS for any length of time... just trying to get her broke in. It was a lot of fun rebuilding her. It was even better when she sputtered to life... back fire cough cough and the vvvrrrrrooooooom... she was idling great...

shand

Cadet

Congrats I just started a rebuild on my '76 35 johnson.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Congrats!! Glad to hear of your success! Just remember to treat her well and she will treat you well for a long time.

LV2FISH4CATS

Seaman Apprentice

Good Luck with your build.... Be sure to ask any questions you may have. But most importaint is to get a OEM Shop Manual.
Have fun and post pics of your rebuild..

nwcove

Admiral

great job! dont ya just love that nervous anticipation just before you turn the key, or pull the cord after a rebuild/restoration.......not knowing if it will even make a kick to start, then hearing it come to life! its truely priceless! keep an eye on the plugs, keep it lubed well and you should enjoy it for years!

Rick.

Captain

Mighty Fine. You should be proud of yourself. Best of luck. Rick.

jbjennings

Captain

Nice looking motor! I'll bet you can't wait to hear it rumbling down the lake at full throttle. Nothing better than running a motor you rebuilt yourself!
JBJ

Fed

Commander

Did you find out what caused the burnt piston?
Great job BTW.

LV2FISH4CATS

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks...Yeah the burned piston came from a plugged carb... ran to lean on that one hole. Burned it up. I rebuilt the carbs also. It started so easy when I went to look at it, I did not check compression.. Boy did I learn a expensive lesson.

Thanks again
Larry