Force 1992-c 50hp - How does drive shaft boot and retainer fit on drive shaft?

jcd61518

Recruit
When I dropped the lower unit (to replace the impeller) I found that the vertical drive shaft boot was in pieces. I have ordered a new boot and retainer but need advice on how they go back together. My maint manual gearcase diagram shows that the retainer goes on first, then the boot top goes on, over the top of the drive shaft.

When I look at the splined slot for the drive shaft in the powerhead, there does not seem to be a place for the retainer or boot top to fit, like a seal, so I am confused how they fit together on the top of the drive shaft.

The current retainer slides to a position 2 inches below the end of the spline groves at the top of the drive shaft and rotates freely round the drive shaft when lifted a bit above the 2 inch mark back towards the bottom of the spline groves or top of the drive shaft.

Should the retainer (which looks like a 1/4" thick brass washer) fit tight to the drive shaft so it rotates with the drive shaft?

Does the bottom of the drive shaft boot rest on the top of the retainer or does the retainer fit inside the bottom of the drive shaft boot?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force 1992-c 50hp - How does drive shaft boot and retainer fit on drive shaft?

Retainer goes on the drive shaft first, then the boot slips down and is held in place from going further down the drive shaft by the retainer. The retainer should rotate freely on the shaft with the bottom of the boot sitting on top of the retainer. Some retainers have a small lip around the outer circumference. The lip should point up. The boot just holds a small amount of grease to lubricate the splines. It's not really a "seal" per say. I've seen many motors that are missing the boot and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Don't put a big glob of grease on the drive shaft splines. If you do and you slide the drive shaft into the hole in the crankshaft, excess grease can get trapped in the hole preventing the drive shaft from seating all the way in. Just a very light coating of grease is sufficient.