1989 mercury mariner starts and idles fine bogs after planning out

jpb1984

Recruit
My 1989 40 h p Mariner starts and idles good. I idled through the no wake zone with no problem. I opened it up and planed out with not problem. Ran good for about 45 seconds then it looses all power and dies. New Machanic thinks its gonna be carbs. Just want another opinion before I pay the $80 an hour.....

mysterisown

Recruit
Re: 1989 mercury mariner starts and idles fine bogs after planning out

Interesting as i am having the same issue with my 1988 mercury Blackmax. Its definately not a carb issue. Something in the electrical system is preventing the motor from gaining full power. With my engine, after it dies, i get no power to start it back up for atleast 5 minutes. im interested in hearing what others have to say and suggest.

Thanks
Mysterisown

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Best advice for both posters above ^^^^^^^ take your first dollars and spend them on a good quality manual. The manual will pay for itself in no time.

Carbs are the "usual" culprit however, timing advance, electronics, compression, fuel lines, fuel quality, fuel line size, vented fuel tank with a clean pick up inside? I doubt I need to go on but you get the picture.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree it sounds like a fuel issue.First thing I would check would be to make 100% certain that FRESH CLEAN GAS IS GOING INTO THE FUEL PUMP..Be sure that the fuel tank is dumped out and blown dry to eliminate even a few drops of water being in it.Next the carbs must be totally clean with NO dirt or water contaminates in the fuel bowls. You can do all of this without spending a dime and may very well fix the problem.

Mi duckdown

Commander

An OEM MERCURY MANUAL will be your best friend.