1988 Sea Ray Sundancer throttle controls

OldBoater70

Recruit
The throttle/shift controls on my Sea Ray Sundancer have become so difficult to shift smoothly that docking has become a comedy. Does anyone have a recommendation on replacing the original controls with the latest available equipment?

My mechanics have done everything they can to tighten up and lubricate the cables. The problem is with getting the levers into neutral to start the engines. The centre knob requires a lot of wiggling and pushing to get it into place when starting and it occasionally jumps out of gear when underway sending the engine into 'runaway' mode.

Any help is appreciated

nlain

Commander
Re: 1988 Sea Ray Sundancer throttle controls

If you are running an outdrive it may be as simple as replacing the lower cable to the drive. I had an 87 bowrider and had to change that cable several times. You should probably give a little more information about your setup, I/O, Inboard, drives, the more you can tell the better the folks here can help.

OldBoater70

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. The boat has twin Mercruiser 260 HP I/O's and Alpha drives. The controls do not actually align with the marking on the control box. When in neutral they actually appear to be in reverse. The mechanic (new to the boat) insists that the way they work is 'normal' for Mercury drives.

I have not personally seen the condition of the lower cable however before the boat was put in the water this year the cables were inspected and I was told they are OK.

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your problem is all too common with the original controls. They look like a tapered thread spool with the trim controls on top, and they angle inward towards each other, right? There are two 198x Sundancers on my dock (one is mine) that have or have had the same issue and I know of others as well.

My neighbor with same controls opted to replace the binnacle itself (the shift levers on at the helm) and that fixed the issue. My cables were replaced (upper and lower) two years ago with no change in operation. The issue is the controls, not the cables. My mechanic says the same thing... but I just haven't been bothered enough yet to replace them.

It's not clear if replacing the binnacle control levers will require new shift cables. I've heard it both ways. I'll deal with it when I have to replace the shift cables someday.

mbsween

Recruit

Grand Larceny,
Are you at South Point? I have the Sundancer 300 on D dock and have the same problem with the throttles/shifting. i did disassemble the entire binnacle and it seems to work fine when the cables aren't connected

I also had new external cables put on last year by M&M marine. I've lubed the existing cables, but that didn't help. I think I'm going to replace them anyways.

I'm almost at wits end, did you solve you issue? Do you know what binnacle your friend replaced with? At ~500 dollars, I'd like to get it right the first time

Thanks
matt

Your problem is all too common with the original controls. They look like a tapered thread spool with the trim controls on top, and they angle inward towards each other, right? There are two 198x Sundancers on my dock (one is mine) that have or have had the same issue and I know of others as well.

My neighbor with same controls opted to replace the binnacle itself (the shift levers on at the helm) and that fixed the issue. My cables were replaced (upper and lower) two years ago with no change in operation. The issue is the controls, not the cables. My mechanic says the same thing... but I just haven't been bothered enough yet to replace them.

It's not clear if replacing the binnacle control levers will require new shift cables. I've heard it both ways. I'll deal with it when I have to replace the shift cables someday.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Matt...welcome to iboats.

Do you realize you replied to a year old post? It is considered proper forum etiquette to start your own thread when you need help. You will get answers much faster that way. Or perhaps PM Grand Larsony, if he is still an active member.

Good luck!

mbsween

Recruit

Seville,
Thanks, Missed that. Saw the poster might be in my Marina with the same boat, and thought holy cow, I might be able to just talk as I'm relatively new to boating.

I'll restart a forum in a bit

matt

Matt...welcome to iboats.

Do you realize you replied to a year old post? It is considered proper forum etiquette to start your own thread when you need help. You will get answers much faster that way. Or perhaps PM Grand Larsony, if he is still an active member.

Good luck!