Help! Volvo Penta 5.0 submerged in water

cdn_cajun

Cadet
My 2000 Reinell 20L with Volvo Penta 5.0 Gi was beached sideways this weekend during a squall and the pounding fresh water waves filled the boat up to the steering wheel and motor to the flame arrestor. I bailed the boat and got it back into the water and now need assistance in changing out the fluids and performing any other services. The motor and oil (not milky) seemed to be ok and was able to use to get back to the boat ramp to get the boat home.

How do you go about;
1) flushing/changing the power steering fluid (now milky) and what type of fluid?
2) flushing/changing the power trim fluid and what type of fluid (trim now stuck up and does not work since reservior went low and I added clear Prestone power steering fluid with stop leak)?
3) or anything else I need to be checking or servicing?

I do plan to change the motor oil from the bottome of the sump rather than dip stick. Should I be adding an engine oil flush or additive prior to changing?

Appreciate any guideance as I would like to get back onto the water ASAP.

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help! Volvo Penta 5.0 submerged in water

If it were me, I'd pull the spark plugs, rotate the engine to expell as much water as possible, then try to get it started after changing the oil.

Get it nice and warm to get rid of any water in the engine.

If it were salt, your batteries would also be toast, along with your starter/altenator. It's not, so getting the engine going is #1, service these devices when you get a change (Open, clean, dry etc)

Chay

cdn_cajun

Cadet
Re: Help! Volvo Penta 5.0 submerged in water

The fresh water came up to the intake manifold but did not submerge the spark arrestor. The motor started after we bailed the boat and was able to drive it back to the boat ramp and did not appear to have water in the oil. The power steering and power trim reserviors did get water and need to find out how to flush those systems.