4.3l-Alpha One. Tilt will not raise the stern-drive.

ls1geezer

Cadet
I have a 1990 Wellcraft Eclipse186. 4.3 with an Alpha One Stern-drive. I can lower the stern-drive using the tilt switch on the Quicksilver 3000 Classic but it will not raise it. To trim the boat I can tap the trailer switch. Or can raise the stern-drive all the way using the trailer switch. Before I start pulling things apart can I assume the problem is with the tilt switch or a connection to it, or could I be looking at something more serious. It was working correctly until our last outing. I hope I've described the problem correctly as this is my first boat.
Thanks in advance

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 4.3l-Alpha One. Tilt will not raise the stern-drive.

Sounds like you have a bad trim limit switch (or bad wires going to the switch). The limit switch is wired to the trim up button and prevents the operator from raising the trim too high while driving the boat. The trailer button bypasses this switch, which is why you can raise your motor with this button. It's a pain to replace (requires removal of outdrive), so it's best to just bypass the switch. I would find the wires that go to the switch and just connect them inside the boat. If you ever have someone replace the bellows, have them do the limit switch and sender also.

ls1geezer

Cadet
Re: 4.3l-Alpha One. Tilt will not raise the stern-drive.

Thank you Greg for your prompt reply.