1995 70hp Force outboard drive shaft issues

inspecting1

Cadet
Ok the story is the pinion gear busted this weekend and it looks like the splines onthe bottom of the drive shaft are shot so I think I will be buying a new pinion gear and drive shaft. my question is. Is there a trick to removing the drive shaft from the lower unit? any help would be appriciated. Also if there is any other tricks or tips that can be offered send them my way.
Thanks

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1995 70hp Force outboard drive shaft issues

Not 100% sure but I suspect that the replacement parts would cost more that a complete used lower unit.

inspecting1

Cadet

from what I can find on the net so far it going to be about 1600.00 to buy a rebuilt lower unit.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I've seen some used lower units on E-Bay and Craigslist from time to time for your motor in the $200 - $300 range.

inspecting1

Cadet

ok so I ordered a new pinion gear today I need some help gettin the drive shaft out does anybody know any tricks

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

If the splines on the drive shaft are shot and you're not going to re-use it, a large pipe wrench might work. There is a special tool that looks kind of like a coupling that slips over the splines of the drive shaft and is hex shaped on the outside so you can put a wrench on it.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Never took apart the 70 and I do have one. But, if it is like the larger engines, first you remove the pinion nut. Use a six point socket and wedge it in the geqarcase. Then, turn the driveshaft. Once the nut is free, remove the socket and spin it all the way off, NOW: The pinion gear will most likely be on a locking taper in addition to having splines. Wedge a couple of pieces of block aluminum or other soft metal into the gearcase and drive a heavy chisel or other wedge between them forcing the shaft out of the pinion. It will "pop" just like a flywheel.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Forgot to mention--You do need to remove the water pump.