boat losing speed

boatmann

Cadet
Hey everyone, my boat has lost btwn 10-15 miles and hour from 60 to 45 mph WOT. It sounds great and gets on plane quickly. No extra weight has been added, the only thing is I bought gas at the Marina and didn't put Startron gas additive in like I usually do. Last week I lost 5 mph and this week another 10.It is a 7.4 mercrusier with a Bravo 1 drive. I tuned up last year and thinking possibly another is due. I am going to check the gas also. Any other ideas?

thanks

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: boat losing speed

I would start by checking the fuel filter /water separator and make sure there is no water in your fuel. Remove the filter and pour its contents into a clear jar and check for water. Also make sure all the lines are clear and the in-line filters are clean.

Bondo

Staff member

Hey everyone, my boat has lost btwn 10-15 miles and hour from 60 to 45 mph WOT. It sounds great and gets on plane quickly. No extra weight has been added, the only thing is I bought gas at the Marina and didn't put Startron gas additive in like I usually do. Last week I lost 5 mph and this week another 10.It is a 7.4 mercrusier with a Bravo 1 drive. I tuned up last year and thinking possibly another is due. I am going to check the gas also. Any other ideas?

thanks

Ayuh,... Is this a Docked boat,..?? or trailered boat,..??

boatmann

Cadet

I would start by checking the fuel filter /water separator and make sure there is no water in your fuel. Remove the filter and pour its contents into a clear jar and check for water. Also make sure all the lines are clear and the in-line filters are clean.

Thanks greg, I am planning on full tuneup with filters which I hope takes care of this.

boatmann

Cadet

I take it out and clean once a month, the last time 3 weeks ago. It never dropped more than 5 mph before. Do you think it would drop by 15mph? How would I clean the drive gear? Do I have to disassemble it to clean?
thanks

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Has there been a lot of rain? carrying extra weight somewhere (as in water) would slow you down...

boatmann

Cadet

No rain lately...no extra weight has been put in. I am going to pull boat and clean the bottom and check filters etc.
thanks