How do I remove my Gimble Housing on my Alpha one? Help please.

cs90453

Seaman Apprentice
I have to change my shift cable bellow on my 165HP mercruiser and I can't seem to figure out how to get the housing off. I'm not sure the year but I have been watching youtube videos on it and it says to remove the hinge pin but for some reason I can't seem to see where it is on mine. I have two phillips head screws facing me on the rear pointing towards the engine. I have an elm bolt on top and something on the bottom. Outside of that it the mount that is on the boat itself. I can remove that part I guess but I don't think that I should have to so any suggestions or links that someone could let me know is appreciated. This is a boat that I got used and the exaust bellow and gimble bellow have already been changed but I was hoping to check the water line as well. Thanks.

Last edited:

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: How do I remove my Gimble Housing on my Alpha one? Help please.

you don't need to remove the gimbal housing to change the shift cable

you don't need to remove the bell housing hinge pins either

all you need to remove is the drive, and the old cable/bellows and install a new shift cable kit

do you have the OEM manual for your drive??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps there is a terminology problem here.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Transom shield parts.jpg
    Transom shield parts.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

One thing we need to know, is which Mercruiser 165 you have, is it the 4 or 6 cylinder engine. Makes a big difference in how you go about changing the shift cable bellows, and trust me, there is a lot more info on how to fix it here at iboats, than there is at mercstuff.

cs90453

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry it's a 6 cylinder engine and it's the bell housing I am trying to figure out how to remove. I figure if I disconnect the shift cable and pull through I can replace the shift bellow but I was also interested in inspecting the water line inside the bell housing. Would love to give more info but can't seem to find anything in terms of a model number or anything so if there are any ideas of where to look I will and gladly share that as well. Thanks for the info so far.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Here's a few pics that may help. The first shows the pins in place.

DSCF5567.jpg

This shows the pins removed:

DSCF5573.jpg

This shows where the pins go. The red tube simply shows where the aluminum "nail" goes that holds them in place.

DSCF5570.jpg

On the back of the gimbal ring you will see where the nail has been bent over. Remove the nail, the the hinge pin can either be pulled out by screwing a bolt into the threaded hole and pulling.... or by simply knocking them into the center.

When you re-install them, note the small mark at the top of the hinge pins. That helps orient it in the correct direction so the hole lines up.

jones01m

Petty Officer 1st Class

I made a tool that works real slick
1/4-28 all-thread, some washers, a nut, and a socket. $2

IMG_1616.jpg