1991 Yamaha 150 hp V6 Saltwater question

Fistful

Cadet
I am looking at purchasing a 1991 Grady White 20 ft overnighter with a 150 hp yamaha on it. I am not too familar with Yahama's so I tought someone here could give me their thoughts on the overall performance, remaining life, and any common issues to watch out for. I would plan on taking it in for an initial tune-up (after a pre-buy inspection) - should I be looking for anything inparticular to be replaced as a regular wearing item on this motor. Is this underpowered for that boat, does it troll down good, other thoughts...? On a side note, this boat has been unused in 4 years (stored inside).

Thanks for any feedback.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 1991 Yamaha 150 hp V6 Saltwater question

20 year old motor, used in saltwater a lot?, flushed out and stored dry after use? Was it stored/winterized correctly before last lay-up so no corrosion in crank/cylinder/bearing areas? Is there 4 year old fuel in carbs, tank, fuel system? New water pump impeller? Drain/refill lower unit gear oil? I would definitely want to do a couple of hour sea trial before putting my money down! It could be just great or a total disaster, depending on care, preventive maintenance and winterizing procedure before 4 year lay-up! Good Luck!

Fistful

Cadet

This boat was only used in fresh water and was properly winterized every year. I am sure the gas is bad being 4 years old.

I was looking more for commonly encountered things with this particular motor if any?

Good list of things for me to consider though. thanks.

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm thinking that a 150 on a 20' Grady would be at the lower end of the recommended hp

robert graham

Admiral

This boat was only used in fresh water and was properly winterized every year. I am sure the gas is bad being 4 years old.

I was looking more for commonly encountered things with this particular motor if any?

Good list of things for me to consider though. thanks.

Drain/flush/clean entire fuel system(including carbs) before starting motor. Install fuel/water separator. Nothing inherently troublesome about the older 2 stroke, carbed Yamaha motors. I've owned a 4HP, 40HP,115HP and presently a 90HP, all Yamahas, never had any problems with any of them. Get a owners book and Yamaha repair manual for that motor and study/learn about what it takes to keep it running right, all the time!

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class

Drain/flush/clean entire fuel system(including carbs) before starting motor. Install fuel/water separator. Nothing inherently troublesome about the older 2 stroke, carbed Yamaha motors. I've owned a 4HP, 40HP,115HP and presently a 90HP, all Yamahas, never had any problems with any of them. Get a owners book and Yamaha repair manual for that motor and study/learn about what it takes to keep it running right, all the time!

Excellent!!!