Method for testing water in fuel?

MNBrent

Seaman Apprentice
Having running troubles with my VP 3.0GS MWTR motor. Dies on idle, power loss, now tending to overheat past the sub 150F normal temp.

Plugs 2&3 look black and sooty and plugs 1&4 are wet gas it certainly smells like, so Im guessing its not water.

I did have the boat running great the first outing this year, but then the next 3 outings it has run progressively worse and this last weekend, needed a tow back to the dock by a good samaritan.

Is there a simple litmus test of sort to check for water in the fuel. I'm thinking of just pulling my water separator filter and using that as a sample. I'm running NON-OXY 91 octane gas from a busy higher volume gas station with a bottle of Seafoam in every tank.

Appreciate any advice on that one.

B.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Method for testing water in fuel?

If you have a water seperating fuel filter, remove it and pour the contents into a clear container. Gas will float on any water. For the water to get to the engine, it would need to be about 1/2 water.

When was the last full tuneup of the engine? have you done a compression test? it would be handy.

MNBrent

Seaman Apprentice

Don
Did cap-rotor-plugs-wires and drill wire brushed the distributor shaft top center electrical contact (part that the rotor slips onto) so it looks new as there was a layer of rust on it.

Never messed with the carb as it was running great for a few years now. I think this might be the overall source of my problems and a rebuild-fresh dial in is in order.

Plan to test compression tonight if I get a free moment and get a VP EST disti shunt to check initial timing.

Thanks for the reply.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

One thing I forgot to mention, once you empty a filter element to check for water. Throw it away and install a new one.
The act of pouring the contents out contaminates the clean side of the filter. If you put it back on, you introduce dirt into your carb and fuel pump.