Trailer Registration Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erin Stewart

Cadet
If you have a trailer that needs to be registered, consider registering it in Maine. You do not need to be a Maine resident to do so. Registering in Maine will save you a lot of money on the sales tax. Check out REMOVED or give us a call and ask for Sam, he will take great care of you! :) Thanks & happy boating this season!

EDIT: This is second time you've advertised this service on iboats. Please do not do it again or you will be banned as a spammer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Trailer Registration Option

Thanks, but No Thanks! I checked out your fee's page, and you are charging $14.50 MORE than it costs for me to register my trailer in my own state. Plus I can do the registration and payment online, and save the cost of postage too!

So what is the advantage of paying more to register my trailer with you in Maine?

BTW, your post is considered advertising by the admins, so don't be surprised if you get called on the carpet.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Its worth keeping in mind that is technically illegal in most states.

Most states have registration requirements that specify after X number of days, (usually 90), you have to register it in THAT state. If you are stopped, the officer is going to ask for drivers license, and how long you have lived there. If you have registration on a vehicle/trailer from out-of-state, and you have lived there over 90 days, they can and will choose to disregard any out-of-state registration entirely and ticket you. (usually you get at least one warning, but you are still playing with fire and hoping the cop is having a good day.)

And to go one step further, since your trailer is technically not road legal in the strict legal sense, your insurance may not be valid either. (pushing the limit on that one, I haven't ever seen an issue like that working in insurance, but we don't have trailer registrations for most trailers in my state.)

Besides, trailer registration fees go towards your state resources and roads, no need to give a different state $$$ to fix their roads instead...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

So what is the advantage of paying more to register my trailer with you in Maine?

My trailer is register in Maine. It cost me $95 for 5 years. Had I registered it in my home State, the same 5 years would have cost me $260.

Having said that, check local regulations. Some States require that you have at least one other trailer registered in the state before you can utilize out of state plates

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My trailer is register in Maine. It cost me $95 for 5 years. Had I registered it in my home State, the same 5 years would have cost me $260.

Having said that, check local regulations. Some States require that you have at least one other trailer registered in the state before you can utilize out of state plates

Mine is permanent in my state (Michigan) and if I recall it was $99. Plus it is legal with no questions asked. (and with no rif-off advertisments in I-Boats.)

TerryMSU

lncoop

Vice Admiral

In the natural state $30 gets you a lifetime trailer tag. The advertising post has been reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.