Prop Shaft Removal

Cap’n Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Gurus, experts and tinkerers! I'm finalizing the purchase details on a 1977 Carver Mariner 3396 with twin inboard Merc 233s and v-drives (Borg Warner), and will be undertaking the preparation for shipping myself. A couple of quick questions, all suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!

1.) I have been told it is best to remove props and shafts for shipping. The trip is ~500 miles on a commercial hydraulic trailer. If this is true, how do I remove them (or will it be obvious when I look- I am comfortable with mechanics).

2.) Is there anything (other than props, shafts and rudders) that should be removed or otherwise secured prior to shipping? I have been told the hight of the windshield will NOT be an issue, but was prepared to remove it too if necessary.

ANY suggestions will be appreciated, until next saturday the largest boat I've owned was 27' (One '82 Bayliner Victoria Sunbridge 2750, and one '91 Carver Montego 2757) so I've never had to prep for shipping, but I HAVE always done all of my own mechanics etc.

Thanks in advance!

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Prop Shaft Removal

I don't see any reason to remove the prop shafts. However, I would do a re-alignment once the boat is back in the water...

Cap’n Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input! That will be a little less work for me, kinda figured I'd have to check the alignment anyway- ESPECIALLY if I removed them, great advice!! Any others?

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pretty sure it requires special tools for shaft removal, I'd skip on it.

Ned L

Commander

With V-drives you may have to pull the engines to pull the shafts. WAY to much work. If there is that much concern you need to find another boat hauler. You shouldn't need to remove any of the running gear (props, shafts, struts, rudders).

Cap’n Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you all for the input! I will NOT be removing any underwater gear as you have all suggested, and I made some calls locally- majority rules!!

Ned; thank you for the caution! I wasn't concerned about the shipper, and they hadn't said anything about it- the suggestion came from some local boaters, word travels fast around here and the whole marina knows about our upcoming purchase; alot of them had some 'friendly advice', I knew not to just run with it, and it's fellow boaters such as yourself I prefer to turn to for suggestions. MOST of the locals are ocassionally fishermen and weekend warrior 'tooners that don't really know much about larger boats anyway.

Thanks again to all who replied. I'll be heading out to finalize the deal and hopefully follow the new boat home this weekend (actually scheduled for pick up on monday). I will post a pic or two of her here just to punctuate the end of the thread :)