Starting sequence 1969 55hp hydroelectric

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, dumb question but...i purchased a 1969 carver 16ft woodie with a 69 Johnny 55hp hydro motor. Im well aware of the motors "idiosynchrosies" but my question is more basic. I've always owned pull starts and this is my first electric. The key start is on the dash with off-run-start, and on the control box is a red "start" lever. I assume i throw the lever, and turn key to start, after catches release key to run. Do i return lever immediately or??? I know motor needs a batt to start, is that what that lever is for or??

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: Starting sequence 1969 55hp hydroelectric

Just to be sure that you are dealing with the start lever (since I son't know what control box you have), remove the engine cover and move the lever upwards/forward. If you see the throttle mechanism move, it is doing what it is supposed to do.

When starting, use the lever to advance the throttle a little bit. Start the motor and then adjust for correct idle rpm. As the engine warms up, you will be able to push the lever back down.

That's all there is to it.

dazk14

Ensign

Let's also prime the fuel and use full choke. If it's hard starting when cold, ensure ALL choke plates are COMPLETELY closed when the choke is applied. Small gaps will create hard starting.
Good luck!

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks guys, i feel pretty dumb but like i say its my first electric and have heard horror stories bout this motors electrical parts cost. To shut off motor i just turn key to off?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Yes, turn the key off and the engine should quit.