1963 evinrude sportwin 10hp, ign problem

my 63 evin 10hp only the top cylinder is firing, bottom one cuts in and out, runs fine but bogs down, then it revs up then bogs, revs up bogs, etc... worked on carb thats fine, lean/rich knobs good, noticed only bottom plug gets fouled, and only sparks when it feels like it, any suggestions please help!!!!

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1963 evinrude sportwin 10hp, ign problem

have you cleaned, or reset the points to .020" recently? if not, that's a simple fix you should try first. you can clean off the points with some fine grit sand paper, just be sure to clean it thoroughly afterwards, then reset to .020". You can just get a new set of points and condensers (tune up kit) for about $20, if cleaning doesn't do the trick. If that doesn't do it the next easiest thing would be to switch the 2 spark plugs you have, or just get a couple new Champion J6C's to be safe. If that doesn't do it, you could have a bad s'plug wire, in which case you'll want to get some 7mm copper core s'plug wire. Most NAPA autoparts sell it by the foot. 3 ft. should be enough x $3 a foot = $9 or so. If that doesn't do it you may have a coil dying on you, in which case you'll need to replace it for about $25, or so. Thankfully, these are pretty cheap/easy fixes. Just be sure you only change/fix one thing at a time, so you can eliminate variables as you go.

nwcove

Admiral

i agree with kfa, especially on the coil! they will do odd things as the heat up and cool down. do the cheaper fixes first and as kfa said, trouble shoot one step at a time. good luck, and post back!

Ok, thanks guys, how do i check the points its been a long time and i have a bad memory, and also how to get the flywheel off whats the best way, 3 jawed puller or pully puller?, and how to adjust points also? thanks everyone Mike

AlTn

Commander

google..bringing a 1956 johnson 15hp. back to life...parts 4 and 5 of this article deal with your ignition....take pics or make drawings before going too far on removing the armature plate...front coil < closest to the carb > is the No. 1 cylinder <top>..often that lower cylinder terminal and plugwire seem to get corroded sooner than the top

kfa4303

Banned

Hi 63. You want to use a flywheel/harmonic balancer puller rather than a pulley puller. Don't hit the flywheel either. You can get a puller from most autoparts stores for about $15, BUT be sure you also get 3 GRADE 8 bolts (1/4" x 20 x 3 1/2"). Here's a great link that can walk you through all of the basic tune up procedures. Good luck. Keep us posted.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/max/index1.htm

Hey thanks guys I built a puller I used to be a ase mechanic for autos, pulled it off adjusted points to .020 cleaned everything put back together adjusted mix knobs runs like brand new thanks to everyone anf god bless

kfa4303

Banned

Niiiiiiiiice!!!! Gotta love these old 10hp's ;) Happy boating!