Rebuilt Mercruiser 5.7L

Als09Sierra

Cadet
I'm new to the site, and looking for a boat for me and my family (wife, 3 y.o. daughter and choc lab). I didn't see instructions for posting a welcome, so I hope this suffices.

To my question. I looked at a pristine 2001 Sea Ray bowrider being sold by a private owner. The boat is in immaculate shape, but the motor was rebuilt last August because he blew the old motor. I was told by a different salesman that rebuilding a saltwater cooled motor is a waste of money because the block will eventually rot anyway. Is this true, and should I move on?

I appreciate any help provided.

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: Rebuilt Mercruiser 5.7L

Keep looking! On top of the family, don't be surprised about the amount friends you get along the way!
Find someone that has a boat, kind of what your looking for. Find out from him/her what to look for. I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't ask anything here! I'm just suggesting to, talk to people where your at!

Als09Sierra

Cadet

Thanks Pete. Do you think the rebuilt motor is no good? This boat is exactly what the wife wants and will serve us well for now, but I don't want to get into a money pit and get out of boating faster than I got in.

One of the reasons we're looking at boats is to meet people and get out of the house.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard!!!

Depending on the maintenance and cooling system and usage, there is no reason that a rebuild should be considered as somehow inferior. Manifolds are one of the biggest issues with saltwater and that is not a block or rebuild vs. new issue.

I sort of second Pete's comments with the qualifier that you should jump in if you are serious about boating being part of your life. It cannot be a simple want to try thing, as there is more attention, maintenance and money required than any other family/hobby pursuit with the possible exception of an RV.

Annnnnd, this may seem like a contradiction, but you should not even come close to thinking that your first boat will meet your requirements. You will only find out what your priorities on the water are on the water . . . Buy something that seems to fit, have us help you with it here as you are doing, but note that you will make mistakes, hit stuff, scrape stuff, break stuff and cuss stuff. Learn with this one, and then move into something that fits your needs more closely when you actually know what those needs are. Good luck!!!

Als09Sierra

Cadet

Thanks QC. I have found from the little bit of research I've done that you're right and that dipping the toe in means going all in. I look forward to learning more and hope that it is something that my family and I can enjoy together.

I heard back from the seller. He said that the motor was not rebuilt. It was a crated, rebuilt and guaranteed motor. I think he means that it's a new crate motor, but I'll call him to clarify. The guarantee was 6 months, so it doesn't help, but if it's a crate motor, I'm onboard 100%.

Fedds

Seaman Apprentice

The searays are nice boats, well built. Not sure what model you are looking at though. I would pay a different marine mechanic to look the boat over for you if your new to this. At the vary least they need to check the fuilds, fire the motor up on the muffs, look for leaks and temps, and other issues, then recheck the fluids

If you're new to boating, take the boater saftey coarse (most states have one that is free), and the whole family should take it. You will learn the rules of the water, as well as a pletera of do's and don'ts that will save you time and money, and maybe save your life if all hell were to break loose.

I'll be honest...your first boat you are going to damage in some way if you are trying to learn it yourself. See if you can find someone who has boated for a few years to go out with you the first time to show you the ropes. Look around on this board as well for tips.

I hope you enjoy boating! We all do!

Als09Sierra

Cadet

Thanks Fedds. I definitely plan to take safety courses. I believe the local power squadron and coast guard provide courses. I also hope to learn as much as I can and make boating a fun and safe hobby. I have a few friends who are boaters and will tap into their knowledge as well.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

have a third party perform a full mechanical inspection of the boat if you are serious about buying it - like buying a home, you wouldn't pay for a house that wasn't inspected, right??

it pays for itself

becoming a member of your local power squadron is not only a great way to learn the subtle nuances of boating, its a great way to meet new people, and save some $$$ on your boating insurance

Als09Sierra

Cadet

have a third party perform a full mechanical inspection of the boat if you are serious about buying it - like buying a home, you wouldn't pay for a house that wasn't inspected, right??

it pays for itself

becoming a member of your local power squadron is not only a great way to learn the subtle nuances of boating, its a great way to meet new people, and save some $$$ on your boating insurance

Thanks for the advice. Any suggestion on how to find a good mechanic? I have a couple of guys at work I can ask, but they may not know anyone in the area of the seller.