Help me buy my 1st boat!!!!!

scubaman63

Recruit
I am new to boating and I have a million questions to ask. I need to get all the info before venturing out on a boat purchase. I would like to buy a boat for bottom fishing and some trolling. I am looking at going out between 20 & 30 miles or wherever the fish is at :D . My budget is around $25,000 or less. Here go my questions:<br /><br />1. New or Used<br />2. Size of boat<br />3. Size of engine<br />4. Type of boat<br />5. Type GPS <br />6. Type fish finder<br />6. Do I need a small backup engine?

Pikey2574

Seaman
Re: Help me buy my 1st boat!!!!!

I would check out and see what people in your area are using for starters...

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Scubaman<br /><br />It's happened before - the issue has been discussed in great detail and asearch here will return plenty of hits. Try search for "first boat" or "new boat".<br /><br />Most common suggestion is to define budget (you're there already), think of the use (which you have done) etc.<br /><br />Next it would be a great idea to visit marinas and speak to fellow boaters there. Most love to chat and tell about their stuff, and you may get valuable info about details that you'd otherwise have to earn the hard way.<br /><br />New or used is a matter of taste but you should remember that no used vessel is better than the maintenance it received -but also that it can be great value. Going out 30 miles in open sea and all sorts of weather is not a thing you do in a small boat and a second engine sounds right. Your preferred way (and speed expectations) of sailing decides if you want a displacement, semi- or full planing hull and if diesel power should be considered.

Jason Adam

Cadet

Twin engines and diesels are pretty high hopes for 25K, if theyre paired to anything that floats...

sandijk

Cadet

Buy a Bayliner 28' Trophy with dual outboard gas engines. Best fishing boat in that size for the money.Very strong,reliable and great mfg.support.

sandijk

Cadet

Buy a Bayliner 28' Trophy with dual outboard gas engines. Best fishing boat in that size for the money.Very strong,reliable and great mfg.support.

mattttt25

Commander

1. with your budget, you'll need to go with used. not a bad thing, just a bit more work on your end (shopping).<br /><br />2. I think you should start your search at 22' - 28'.<br /><br />3. at 22', you'll want at least a 200hp single. at 28', you could be looking as large as twin 225hp.<br /><br />4. with your budget, i think you'll do better looking at center consoles. walkarounds are also a good option.<br /><br />5. i love my garmin gpsmap 162 w/ external antenna. lots of features, good graphics, and inexpensive for chartplotters. a good starter.<br /><br />6. i have a lowrance. use the search feature to read lots on fishfinders. can't help much here.<br /><br />7. don't need a backup engine, but if you are truly going out 20-30 miles, you probably want twin engines if you can. make sure you fuel separators installed for each.<br /><br />also remember to have all c.g. gear, good life vests, and a good vhf radio (i like my icom). cell phone is handy as well.<br /><br />good luck and enjoy-