Evinrude 6hp fisherman cutting out help please

lexus258

Cadet
Hi all,
Just got my fisherman running fine and today it has developed a fuel problem. The engine cuts out after running for a while. I discovered that I could keep it going when it's about to die by pumping the primer ball from the fuel tank.
Can anyone help rectify this please?
Thanks.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 6hp fisherman cutting out help please

If the tank is vented properly (it need to be....), then it is probably the fuel pump. Replace all of the fuel lines while you're at it if they are the original ones.

nwcove

Admiral

try loosening the cap on your tank when the problem starts, that should rule out..or confirm a venting issue, good chance...as tx said, its your fuel pump.

lexus258

Cadet

try loosening the cap on your tank when the problem starts, that should rule out..or confirm a venting issue, good chance...as tx said, its your fuel pump.

So do I need to clean the pump or renew it?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

There is a filter screen under the inlet cap that can be cleaned. There may be a rebuild kit available, but I don't have the patience or eyeballs to rebuild those anymore. Replacement pump is Sierra 18-7350.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

It can also be your fuel line, specifically the check valves in your primer bulb. If you have another line or can borrow one you can confirm or rule it out.