evinrude trim and tilt.

Maddawg69

Cadet
I have an older evinrude that I changed the trim and tilt out on. The issue that i am having is when i run 12 volts to the motor it runs up and down fine. When i hook back up to the switch it still runs up and down but a lot slower and the wires are getting super hot. I am not sure if this a wiring,ground or maybe a relay issue. Anybody got any ideas as I am coming to the end of my rope.

Thanks,

Matt

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude trim and tilt.

You do not mention what year the engine is or how many wires the trim motor has. (the number of wires to the trim motor changed mid-year 1981 from 3 to 2.) Most trim switches cannot directly handle the current of the trim motor up movement. They are all low current switches and probably run on smaller gauge wires than the motor itself. In all cases there is something else in the trim electrical system, such as a relay box (1981 and newer engines) or a remote-mounted trim box with a solenoid (1981 and older models) which is designed to take the current load instead of the control box trim switch. In both cases, this additional electrical device is made to handle the current of the up movement of the trim motor.