Extended Vehicle Warranty

mscher

Lieutenant
We have a 06' Highlander Hybrid, that's runs like a champ, but just turned 100k miles, so most of any warranty is gone.

Considering an extend warranty, as it is expensive to repair, reading stories online.

Anyone have one that works for them?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Extended Vehicle Warranty

That is a Toyota, mscher. With only 100K on her she is just broken in. :)

I bought an extended warranty on an Olds Diesel back in the 80s. It was so bad that the insurance company paid me blue book retail just to let them out of the contract. That one was a good investment.

Bought a 100K extended warranty on a Mercedes ML in '04. Never had even the smallest claim. Waste of bux.

Given that Toyotas are the most reliable machines on the planet (according to daughter #3, who has four and according to Consumer Reports) I would not expect a further extended warranty to pay for itself. I certainly wouldn't buy one on my Subaru Forester. Daughters #1 and #2 both have Subies that are over 150K and still never break.

Now if you had a Chrysler/Jeep product. . . .:(

mscher

Lieutenant

That is a Toyota, mscher. With only 100K on her she is just broken in. :)

I bought an extended warranty on an Olds Diesel back in the 80s. It was so bad that the insurance company paid me blue book retail just to let them out of the contract. That one was a good investment.

Bought a 100K extended warranty on a Mercedes ML in '04. Never had even the smallest claim. Waste of bux.

Given that Toyotas are the most reliable machines on the planet (according to daughter #3, who has four and according to Consumer Reports) I would not expect a further extended warranty to pay for itself. I certainly wouldn't buy one on my Subaru Forester. Daughters #1 and #2 both have Subies that are over 150K and still never break.

The usual stuff, I'm not concerned with, in the least, for the reasons you have stated.

It's the hybrid stuff that can be the killer. Apparently, if the power inverter fails, which is not even a DYI repalcement, I could be looking at $7-14,000 repair bill. Even an air conditioner compressor reapair runs close to two grand and the vehicle won't run without one..

I guess if you build it like a spaceship, then prepare to pay spaceship repair costs. ;)

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OR DODGE!:mad:
I've had the engine replaced........Honda Care lost money on me.:eek:

03 Dakota 4X4 SLT Quad Cab with a 5.9.
You can pass anything but a gas station!:facepalm:

tarip

Cadet

Dodge is Chrysler.. :facepalm:

j_martin

Admiral

Stay away from those cactus plants.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I have Factory Warranty left on my 08 F350 SD / 6.4L Diesel but I also bought the Extended Warranty to carry it past the Factory. I talked to other owners who wished they had it so when it was offered I jumped on it. I also got the Ford service package so I never pay for regular services either. That was also recommened since it gives no excuses for lack of service being the cause of failure should it occur. You do still have to do your part ad take it in on schedule but I feel a lot more secure with both of them in my arsenal. The two packages added about 6,000.00 to the cost but when you figure the normal cost over time it's a pretty good deal.

rickryder

Commander

Just read the fine print...... I had one on my 2000 Ford ranger.... The motor locked up from a plugged oil pump screen.... If any sludge is found in engine they can void the claim...... I was an auto tech for 15 years and I don't care how many times you change your oil the motor will have some sort of sludge build up..... Guess it's just a way around paying for a major repair...

sasto

Captain

Personally.....I refuse all extended warrantys. Studies have taught me to stay from them.

Good Luck!

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Extended warranties are sold to increase profits. If the odds were not in the companies favor it would not make sense to sell them.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would only get one (and have bought them for this reason) if I could not afford both the payments and possible repairs. We have one on our Honda because we had to trade a lemon in on it and are way upside down on it and I bought one on the used Jeep Grand Cherokee we bought because the AWD system frightens me. Both warranties last at least as long as the payments.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Personally.....I refuse all extended warrantys. Studies have taught me to stay from them.

Good Luck!

Extended warranties are sold to increase profits. If the odds were not in the companies favor it would not make sense to sell them.

Exactly... I refused the extended warranties they tried to sell me when I bought my camera, tv, stereo, refrigerator, washer, dryer. Chevy PU, snowmobile...fill in the blank. Nothn' has ever broken down to where I said... Dang I wish I would have bought that warranty! So many of those warranties have small print and/ or so many hoops ya gotta jump thru it makes it more hassle then its worth. IMHo. And besides, if one of those items breaks down, I can afford to fix it with all the $ I saved by NOT buying all the other warranties.

bigdee

Commander

Exactly... I refused the extended warranties they tried to sell me when I bought my camera, tv, stereo, refrigerator, washer, dryer. Chevy PU, snowmobile...fill in the blank. Nothn' has ever broken down to where I said... Dang I wish I would have bought that warranty! So many of those warranties have small print and/ or so many hoops ya gotta jump thru it makes it more hassle then its worth. IMHo. And besides, if one of those items breaks down, I can afford to fix it with all the $ I saved by NOT buying all the other warranties.

Extended warranties are usually a risk in themselves........unless it is a reputable policy and you meticulously have your auto serviced at a dealership, then maybe, but even at that I would still be sceptical. I think a better way is to open a separate saving account and make payments....if nothing breaks on your auto you will have built yourself a nice little cache of cash!

mscher

Lieutenant

Originally Posted by sasto

Good Luck!

Originally Posted by drrpm

FWIW, we once had a 94' Camry, that we got a $2500 full transmission replacment, for $50, using an EW, which cost about $700.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the extended is sold and serviced by Toyota, might be worth it for a hybrid. If the EW comes from any other company, it's a crap shoot that might get you nothing in the end. You had an idea what that hybrid stuff would cost to replace when you bought it, right? :facepalm:

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

FWIW, we once had a 94' Camry, that we got a $2500 full transmission replacment, for $50, using an EW, which cost about $700.

Of course there are gonna be alot of success stories, you made a good choice for your situation , Right on ! Its one of those topics that fall into the,,, Your damned if ya do and your damned if ya don't, category, along with a degree of Murphys Law . Is the peace of mind worth the money I guess is the answer, IDK ???????????

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Of course there are gonna be alot of success stories, you made a good choice for your situation , Right on ! Its one of those topics that fall into the,,, Your damned if ya do and your damned if ya don't, category, along with a degree of Murphys Law . Is the peace of mind worth the money I guess is the answer, IDK ???????????

You're darn right. I figure even if nothing breaks on either of my warrantied vehicles during the warranty period, the peace of mind was worth it and the warranty probably was what kept Murphy away anyway! :D:D

I will admit that next time I will probably "self insure" for repairs.

JRJ

Commander

I don't buy extended warranties. I didn't know you could buy one @ 100,000 miles. My Dodge Ram has 30,000, so does my Jeep. My Highlander has 56,000. So how much $$ for the extended warranty? :D