1988 Mariner 90HP Won't Start On It's Own....But Runs Great Once Started.....

racezilla500

Cadet
1988 Mariner 90HP 3 Cylinder.

The boat is new to me and I'm new to boating haha. You guys have helped me tremendously. Sometimes by just searching the site and reading for hours.

My main problem is getting the thing to start. It doesn't want to fire up on it's own. I can shoot the carb box with some mist fuel and it fires right up and runs great. It's the cold starts that it just doesn't like.

I can hear a "click" when i push the key in to choke it. But that's as far as I have went with the enrichment system. I'm not 100% sure it's working right.

One thing I keep seeing is "make sure you are starting it correctly". I also read about the "fast idle lever". I have a pic of my throttle lever I'm posting. I'm hoping someone can lend an opinion on where to begin. Even with something as basic as how to use my throttle lever when starting. Right now I don't touch it when trying to start because I don't know what the "fast idle" means to my throttle lever.

Thank you guys again for any help!
Throttle.jpg

RushFan

Cadet
Re: 1988 Mariner 90HP Won't Start On It's Own....But Runs Great Once Started.....

Race,
I'm not sure, but can see the little switch at the bottom of the throttle mount? Make sure you put the correct kill lanyard on that and flip it into the up position for starters... I can't tell if it is up or down in the picture.
You may also want to look under the control to see if the yellow wires with red stripes are hooked up to the switch as well.

If the boat has been sitting for any long periods of time, there may be many issues. maybe a fuel restriction in the carbs, possible bad fuel pump, primer bulb, bad fuel, water in the fuel, etc,etc.
You might want to try a different fuel tank with good fuel too.

You can unplug the cannon plug on the engine to isolate the engine from the boat and use a remote starter switch or button. I don't recommend doing this if you are not sure of what your doing though.
If it starts, plug the harness back in to stop it from running. Make sure you have flush muffs on and water running!

That's a few troubleshooting tips..