VIP Boats

RustyC

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have any information or Opinions on VIP Boats. I am looking at SeaStealth 206, and cannot find much information on these boats. I see VIP has been around for a while, but have not heard much about them. Any info would be great.

oldfart

Cadet
Re: VIP Boats

Rusty... I bought a used 95 VIP 19.5' Valiant last summer. It was almost like new. The trailer was a VIP and should have been a tandom axle instead of a single. I called VIP and was told the trailers were warrantied for 3 years and since I was the not the original owner nothing could be done. I wanted to know if they would add a second axle at my expense and they said NO. I put on a heavier axle, springs, and added brakes as the boat and trailer were 3500+. The boat handles great and the 5.7 pushes her to 60 on the speedo (probably mid to low 50's). I don't know anthing about the model you are looking at, is the boat new or used? There are many VIP's in TX, La, and AR. They have been around for many years and made in a small town (Vivian) north of Sheveport, LA. Any other questions that I can help with let me know. My boat feels solid in choppy and big waves and doesn't wander in tight turns. It's in (IMOP) the mid range class of boats.

RustyC

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the information. The boat is new. It comes with a Yamaha 150. I am going to look at it tomorrow.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

It wasnt too many years ago I remember reading that vip boats were not holding up well in choppy waters.I recall reading that they were originally only designed to be lake boats.They were encountering structural problems.this was about 10 years ago if I recall.Charlie

bryont

Seaman

I really do not like knocking anyones boats since I know that someone has to have one in this forum. When I was looking for a boat 2 years ago I actually went to Vivian to look into a VIP. The factory which was on the same property was not very professional looking. When I looked at the show room they had some really good prices on new boats(summer 2001). Once I got into a few of the boats I felt that the fit and finish was not very good and the new boats felt old right in the show room. Now I will say that I was comparing them to SeaRay's and Larson boats and that may be close to apples and oranges. I ended up with the boat that I have now and my opinion is that my 1991 seems better built in fit and finish than the new VIP's. I did not put any in the water. Also take into account that I was and still am very new at boating. VIP's did not impress me but that is me. Like Oldfart said they are a bunch out here in this area (Shreveport, Bossier City, LA.). There are plenty that must be happy with them. And like I said the prices on the new boats that I looked at were quite a bit less than the Larson's and SeaRay's that I looked at.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

I just wanted to build a little on what Bryon posted. The older VIP designs that I have seen, even as newly built boats, had obvious finish issues. Again, these were the old designs. In contrast the boats that happened to be the latest designs were quite respectable. Almost as if the two boats were from different companies, even though both were NEW in the showroom. So I would be wary of the older designs, but the new ones are worth a look. Do love it that VIP is one of the few companies (outside of the bass boat field) that still offers metalflake colors.<br /><br />Kelly Cook