volvo/penta i/o with 350 chev

Ivylee

Recruit
put rebuilt engine in my boat. Got it running yesterday but can't shut it down with the key.any ideas.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo/penta i/o with 350 chev

Let's see, Volvo has been using 350 Chevy engines since the 70's, and believe it or not the wiring has changed in those 40 years. Suppose you might give a little more detail like YEAR, maybe the Full model number or serial number (if not to old) and type of drive (yeah, they changed to)

Ivylee

Recruit

Let's see, Volvo has been using 350 Chevy engines since the 70's, and believe it or not the wiring has changed in those 40 years. Suppose you might give a little more detail like YEAR, maybe the Full model number or serial number (if not to old) and type of drive (yeah, they changed to)

77 fiberform cabincruiser with a 280 sp volvo/penta sterndrive. The engine is a 350 chevy vortex carberated with roller cam block. Has new marine starter and alternater. Alternater seems to be backfeeding the coil with key off. To shut down I pull coil wire.
Been rebuilding this boat and wiring has been altered from a ford application to a chevy. Origanally had merccruiser leg with ford 351 engine. Wiring has been a nightmare and have slowly been getting it sorted. This seems to be only issue left.Only other issue are the power trim rams. They leaking bad and found out can't buy rebuild kits. Have to buy 2 new cylinders which are over $800 each. Have been told may be able to get something from hydrolic shop.

cranman

Recruit

If the wiring has been altered, there is the possibility that the wires are switched at the ignition switch i.e. the ignition wire is on the battery terminal and the battery wire is on the ignition. That is what happened to me and I also had to pull the coil to shut it off.