Omc 4.3 stringer transom seal question

d_carter

Cadet
Hi has anyone tried to replace the transom seal without removing the outdrive? mine is starting to weather crack and wondering if it can be done. I tried a search but could not find anything. Thanks Don

superbenk

Commander
Re: Omc 4.3 stringer transom seal question

It can be done if you slather a bunch of soap on the drive to lube it up. That being said, it's easy enough to take a Stringer drive off that I'm not sure why you wouldn't for this job. One tear in the new boot & it's ruined. Not sure I'd want to risk it.

southkogs

Staff member

It can be done if you slather a bunch of soap on the drive to lube it up. That being said, it's easy enough to take a Stringer drive off that I'm not sure why you wouldn't for this job. One tear in the new boot & it's ruined. Not sure I'd want to risk it.

Ditto - I wouldn't want to risk that either.

d_carter

Cadet

I did not realize it would not stretch easily. I will pop it off and go at it that way. Thanks don

run2car

Seaman

Can be done without removal but it's not worth the risk. 25 minutes to remove the drive.

menace two

Cadet

It slips on very easy if you use a cut up plastic juice bottle to help it shoe horn over the bottom of the outdrive. Very little stretching involved.