Where is my water seperator?

3gsdad

Seaman Apprentice
I have been told my rough idle problems may be due to a water seperator that needs to be replaced. Well after looking for 30 minutes and then searching the web it seams I don't have one.
I have a few questions that ya'll might be able to help me with.

1. Is it comon for boat builders to not install them? This is an 06 stingray 185 with a 3.0 merc.

2. Any tips on installing one?

3. Do I even need one if I am putting sta-bil in every tank?

4. Does the fuel filter in the fuel pump need to be changed often?

Thanks in advance on any help you might give.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where is my water seperator?

I have been told my rough idle problems may be due to a water seperator that needs to be replaced. Well after looking for 30 minutes and then searching the web it seams I don't have one.

1. Is it comon for boat builders to not install them? This is an 06 stingray 185 with a 3.0 merc.

1. Yes. It's a cost thing
2. Installation varies by boat
3.Yes. Stabil doesn't prevent water from getting into your fuel supply.
4. No idea. No filter in my fuel pump. All filtering is done long before it gts to the motor

kcfromohio

Seaman

Try eleminating the Sta-Bul. I only use that when putting my boat up for the winter. I noticed my boat ran rough on the tank with Sta-Bul but when I put in a fresh tank of Sunoco 91 octane, It ran much better.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

1. I would be surprised but not amazed if you didn't have one

2. they are just like another larger fuel filter and pretty simple to add just need another fuel line

3. in my opinion yes you should have one its another layer of safety to keep the motor safe and not incurring more costs by destroying the motor

4. this depends, the quality of the fuel you put into your boat, I fuel my boat at the gas station I fuel my cars and trucks at, they are a large chain and get a lot of business so you know they have to regularly change the filters on the pumps, if you go to the local cheap joint that cuts costs at every turn in the road well you know where I am going here, another thing to take into account is that Marina gas can be a toss up, we have all heard horror stories about getting bad gas at the marina, having a fuel water seperator will help just like a fuel filter will to prevent contaminates from reaching the motor.

Here is the kit page here on iboats
http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Ac...-**********.437202057--submit.x.0--submit.y.0

Question though, if you don't have one then why does your boat have a rough idle situation?

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Here is a typical kit for a cartridge type water separating fuel filter. It should be installed somewhere in the line between the fuel tank and the engine. If you don't have one it would be a very good idea to purchase one and install it. If you have a fuel injected engine the rating of the filter should probably be increased to something like a 10 micron rating.

http://www.iboats.com/Water-Separating-Fuel-Filter-Kit/dm/*******.811889061--**********.269791267--view_id.45101

A year round fuel additive is a good idea for a few reasons. I have been using StarTron for a few years with excellent results, but there are many good products out there on the market. If fuel goes in my boat, a fuel additive goes with it. I've already had one bad experience and I'm not going to let that happen again.

A good fuel filter can certainly keep water from making it to the engine - providing of course there is not too much water involved. A leaking filler cap or an improperly located fuel tank vent could cause a LOT of water to get into the tank. I've been through that too.

Take a good look at your fuel system from beginning to end.

3gsdad

Seaman Apprentice

Lipp to answer your question, I don't know.

My boat idles great when you first start it up then when the motor gets hot it will not idle at all. It stalls out and will not crank unless I give it some throttle while I crank it.

I posted this problem in the merc section and have talked to freinds that have boats and the general concensus has been I need to replace the WS.
I was in Gander Mt and saw one that said it fits mercruiser 3.0's so I bought and when I went to replace it I discovered I did not have one. I felt pretty stupid, funny thing though my merc owners manual has instructions on how to replace it with no mention of it not being a standard feature.

I hope I am not waisting time and money if it does not fix my problem, but it sounds like it may be a good thing to have regaurdless.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

well the first thing I would do is determine that I do or do not have one, fix the problem first then you can add one but if you don't have one then its pretty clearly not the problem right! what aspiration is this motor? carbed TBI or EFI? yes you should have one so its no waste...

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Have you had the Carb looked at?

If not try this, with the motor running spray some starting fluid around the carb, not alot mind you and stand back with a either a fire extinguisher on hand or a hose, have a route set up for the key, this is not really dangerous but it could fairly effectively remove your eye brows, short bursts directly onto the four sides of the carb one at a time and see if your motors rpm's increase dramatically for just a moment and then settle back down, it would help to have the motor at operating temperature, in a well ventilated area if nothing try the intake manifold edges as well. This is old school carb work and would identify a vacuum leak or other gasket leak around your carb, the safer way to do this would be to take your boat down and have the carb rebuilt nothing serious and it includes cleaning the carb completely and would cost a couple hundred dollars, but who likes being overly safe.......

The opinions in this post are of the user alone and do not in any way represent any official opinions of iboats or the moderators in any way.....:D

I'm not buying the water seperator thing, if you were seeing a problem under load then possibly a fuel delivery issue but not at idle, timing or carb I bet

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have been told my rough idle problems may be due to a water seperator that needs to be replaced.

The rough idle is probably due to the lean mixture needed to get the 3.0L engines to pass air quality standards. Then to make matters worse, you have a TKS carb, and those things are just junk.

Well after looking for 30 minutes and then searching the web it seams I don't have one.

Factory installed water separating fuel filters is always an option with the 3.0L engine, cost is one reason, but with todays E-fuel it's just sad that they aren't installed on EVERY boat.

You don't NEED one as long as you don't mind rebuilding the carb every year or every other year as they get bits of water and dirt in them.

Yes, it needs changed yearly if you don't have a WS/fuel filter. If you do install a Water seperator, then install a new filter in the pump and carb and you shouldn't have to replace them again.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

If it was a water in the fuel problem , it would idle rough as soon as it starts...if it only presents when the engine is warm or hot....the problem lies elsewhere...just how hot is it getting when the problem is present ? I sputter too when I am overheated !!!! :facepalm:

3gsdad

Seaman Apprentice

It never runs hot. I should have said "operating temp" instead of hot.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I think what were getting at is that a visit to a good carb guy could pay dividends if you have not tried already, its also a pretty cheap fix that makes it worth taking a look at, if there's been water through your carb as there likely has since you probably do not have a seperator then your carb is due for a rebuild/thorough cleaning anyway, my guy would check the timing for a bit extra as well, were talking less then $300 total parts and labor. I'm betting your about ready to pull your hair out with the problem anyway, throw in a couple hundred more and you have a full tune up and your water seperator installed properly.

The problem is doing a carb rebuild is not for the faint of heart, were not talking rocket science here but they are easy to mess up, I have rebuilt my own motors before and I can tell you I don't mess with Carb's!! I think if I were in your shoes I would do it ASAP so you can move on with your summer, I bet you will have your boat back in 2 days or less were only talking a couple hours work here