Mounting down riggers on Whaler

sterios

Cadet
I'm looking at buying a 1989 Boston Whaler Revenge 20 footer to use as a salmon boat on Lake Ontario and i'd like to know if anyone has tried to mount riggers on this style of boat? How would I go about afixing the riggers with no access under the mounting plates to put a backer plate? Thanks

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mounting down riggers on Whaler

Well, you need to get the "wood" chart for your boat to see where the hard points are. The hard points were provided to give owners a place to attach various items. But, one of the downsides to a boat that cannot, will not, in fact impossible to get it to sink is that there are limited places to mount everything you sooner or later want to mount or to run wires or whatever.

I have known people to actually cut into the hull, dig out the foam, install a composite plate with epoxy and flocking with a stud or bracket fixed to it and then re-foam the area and then build the glass back over the "repair" and of course you will find this to be huge work and probably effect the value of the Boston Whaler boat negatively. Boston Whalers are often best left as the simple, unsinkable, high quality boats they are.

JR

sterios

Cadet

Thanks High'n'dry. I'm going to take a second look at this boat this weekend. It actually has open gunnels so I can mount down riggers with backing plates without having to cut anything. Thanks

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Before trying to mount riggers directly to the boat, look into mounting a board that spans the rear portion of the interior. There are mounting devices that hook into the outside without screwing into the hulls. I've seen them, but cannot remember the names. You may want to spend a few hours doing internet searches and calling marinas near big water ports.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

HnD and bec both give good advice/ideas. Try whalercentral for pics of setups and people who have done this to Revenge 20