Steering/ problem mount 100hp johnson '71 vintage

Carlos1787

Cadet
Hi all,

Problem: the boat is scarey while driving under med to full throttle, it seem to have a mind of it's own. It will decide to turn on it's own and requires lots of counter steering to straighten it up. Sometimes it has a hard pull to the right, but it's not consistent.

What I found: the steering cable to steering tube had about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of play, so I tighten the nut. I also found that there seems to be some plat where the steering arm mounts to the motor. I know that the arm is rubber isolated but am unsure as to what is acceptable as far as play.

Does anybody know who much play is acceptable where the steering arm attaches to the motor?

Will the nut on the steering tube cause this behavior?

It's a 71 Johnson 100hp and the arm has a rubber isolator. I will attempt a video upload shortly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GAy9_VTNvI

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Steering/ problem mount 100hp johnson '71 vintage

The nut should be tight. It looks to me like there is quite a bit of play in the mount, You are correct that you need to take care of the problem before you use the boat again.

Carlos1787

Cadet
Re: Steering/ problem mount 100hp johnson '71 vintage

Well I took it to the local repair shop, and they guys looked it over and said that they could not find any trouble with the boat....other than the hull design. It does handle a bit better, but nothing like my old bayliner.