How to backflush...

Hoyt79

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1972 50 HP Johnson...just wondering if there is a way to backflush the water cooling system? I think I may have a partial blockage in the system...it spits water out of the exhaust ports during any RPM combination above idle but very little at idle in the lake.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: How to backflush...

Nothing easy, you could remove the thermostat and try to force water backwards through the engine. Is it overheating? I don't think you will get very much out of the exhaust ports at an idle. Water coming out of the exhaust ports is associated with engine RPM, water pump spinning faster.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Or, if you have the LU off, you could blow water or air up the water tube. Pressure should dislodge anything in the water pasages.

Hoyt79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Or, if you have the LU off, you could blow water or air up the water tube. Pressure should dislodge anything in the water pasages.

I may do that next time I have the LU off....I think it is working ok, I ran it for an hour solid on the river the other day with no problems, just would make me feel better to backflush it if I could somehow. I am going to limit the idle time on the motor, because it doesn't spit any water out of the exhaust ports while at idle, the prop is not spinning at idle so no water.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The water pump is driven off of the drive shaft which is turning when ever the engine is running. Sounds like your pump is operating properly.