1984 Force 85 fuel issue

CKimball

Recruit
I'm pretty mechanical, but this 2 stroke thing is new to me and I'm learning. After the motor had sat for a few years, I drained gas, seafoam, new plugs, new gas and it ran pretty good in a barrel, so I took it to the lake. After warming for a few minutes, the idle smoothed out a bit and i eased on the throttle to nearly full plane (seemed a little under powered) and it ran pretty good for a couple minutes. Shut it off. then, we the thing would start, it would die when put in gear (oddly worse in forward than neutral?!). when i could get in gear and off an idle 2/3 throttle is about max before severe blubbering. After reading other threads I have removed and cleaned the carbs and checked idle screws, needles and seats, etc. No real obvious probs. I'm thinking I need to check out:
1- The fuel recirc system. Are the checks internal or in the barb fittings on this one? and either way, where?
2-The cylinder drain. Others have described it as" an L shaped plate w/ hose. but I only see a long vertical plate on the starboard side.

oh- and I have 120lbs +/- 3 on all 3 holes

HELP PLEASE-- This thing is looking more like an anchor every day!!! and I need to catch some Macs

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 Force 85 fuel issue

Fuel pump diaphram. Replace any hoses and any inline connectors.
Stalling,what's the idle rpm's. Should be 750-800 Get a manual.
Boats.net has parts diagrams for your motor.Use it as a parts locator.

CKimball

Recruit
Re: 1984 Force 85 fuel issue

K-Thanks for the advice!! Got the cylinder drain cover off, lower two screens were about half blocked, top screen 3/4 blocked or more. the top screen has in it what looks and feels like small pieces of rubber. What does that mean?? the gaskets were damaged a little in removal can I salvage them w/ permatex? there shouldn't be much pressure there, right?