Float issues on '59 35hp with rebuild

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Usually, I am kind enough to offer my best advice to new members here, but this time, I am seeking some input.

I just rebuilt the carb on my '59 RDS Johnson and it appears that I can't get the gas to quit flowing out, when I charge up the primer bulb. I just rebuilt it with a new kit (new float too) and when I charge the fuel system up with the primer bulb, gas flows out the front of the carb, as though I completely left out the needle assembly. Very odd to me. I tried different float level settings to no avail. Oddly enough though, the new float that was in the (OEM) kit was an older style cork float. When I turn the carb upside down and blow into the fuel line nipple, it is shut off tighter than a drum and I turn it right side up, I can blow through it, which is the normal way it should work.

Well, my theory is, the floats in the new kits, just don't have enough bouyancy to shut off the gas at the needle valve, like it should, so I need to find one of the newer style plastic floats and try again. Is there a source to buy a newer style float? What is your input, guys? Anyone else experienced this issue? I did on another RDS carb I rebuilt about 15 years ago, but I ended up replacing that carb. This one looks to be in too good of shape to toss and I have had several in worse condition, work fine. LOL:cool:

AlTn

Commander
Re: Float issues on '59 35hp with rebuild

Zeph..similiar experience with a 1972 6hp. except reverse the floats. New plastic float wouldn't seal the needle valve in the seat. After several "diagnostic " tries with float level,light "skim" of grease on float side and front to check for float interference from the bowl gasket, nothing changed. I put the old cork float back on, started first pull and is running 6 months later. I dunno guess it's a case of "one of dem thangs".

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Sounds like when the float is open, it is getting hung up on something in the float bowl. If you have the old float, bend the new one the exact same way so that it does not open too far, nor close too late. Also make that the new bowl gasket is not too big and hanging things up.

Brokeback Johnson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does your motor have a fuel pump? I changed out floats three different times on one engine only to find a ruptured diaphragm in fuel pump was flooding me at prime time.

If you have a pressure tank I'm stumped.....crud in the needle or binding float.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Does your motor have a fuel pump? I changed out floats three different times on one engine only to find a ruptured diaphragm in fuel pump was flooding me at prime time.

If you have a pressure tank I'm stumped.....crud in the needle or binding float.

This issue would normally cause fuel to flow into the cylinder that powers the fuel pump, wouldn't it? The fuel pump appears to be feeding the motor, as it's running, just like it should. I think tx1961whaler may be onto something. I'll try bending the tab that allows the float to only open so far and see if that helps.