FOUR WINNS boat advice, possible purchase

Firescooby

Recruit
Hello all, first post and thank you in advance for the assistance.

I am looking at buying a used Horizon 200. Only other thing I have been told is that it has a "Mustang engine"/302, runs good, but sometimes hard to start. Unknown year, possibly 1989-1992

I've not seen the boat in person yet, only have one picture.

What are the things I need to check?

What's the best way to check for any rot? This is my main concern is rotting wood.

Need y'alls help...never bought a boat like this before.

Crappy picture:

Attachments

• IMG_6847.jpg
    IMG_6847.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer
Re: FOUR WINNS boat advice, possible purchase

Do some searches thru the forum, all your questions have already been answered, furthermore I think you will need to provide more info motor size outdrive etc,etc, before anyone can help you more... Good luck!

Edit: re read, 302 engine...

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

I would be very wary of this boat. The "Mustang" engine may be just that, an automotive engine. That could mean all sorts of automotive parts, like the starter, alternator, distributor, and carb. None of these is USCG approved for marine use, and pose a risk of fire and explosion.

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

I would be very wary of this boat. The "Mustang" engine may be just that, an automotive engine. That could mean all sorts of automotive parts, like the starter, alternator, distributor, and carb. None of these is USCG approved for marine use, and pose a risk of fire and explosion.

I think he means it's a "Marinized" Mustang engine....... Probably all.

Firescooby

Recruit

Thanks for all the input.

That's all the information I have at the moment. I hope to have more info and maybe look at it Monday. Haven't seen the boat, and all info is 3rd person.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If it has an OMC sterndrive you may want to avoid it. They've been obsolete for a decade and parts and service are getting scarce. A Ford wouldn't be my first choice for the same reason (they got outta the marine business a while ago).