evinrude boat motor , first time boat owner, doesnt mind working on motor

jbjennings

Captain
Re: evinrude boat motor , first time boat owner, doesnt mind working on motor

Howdy, welcome to the forum
The impeller will be bad if the fins are hardened into a curved position ("taken a set"), or broken, or have dry-rot cracks. They should stick out straight and be nice and flexible when the impeller is off the drive shaft and laying on the workbench.
The housing or plate will be bad if it is badly grooved, rough where i should be smooth, or otherwise scored. Sometimes one can't even tell by looking at the housing that it is bad, I believe.
BTW, I don't fully understand your question. The impeller is the fan-shaped rubber thing that lies inside the water pump. The impeller is spun by the drive shaft and is one of the PARTS that compses the water pump.
What motor, BTW?
Good luck,
JBJ

Last edited:

bloomer319

Recruit

sorry i did not explain myself. i am looking at a 60hp evinrude motor. The engine cools when it runs according to the person ( i might buy it from) the water pump does not cycle water in an assessment done , stating ( the impellar or water pump might need to be replaced) i dont mind fixing the problem what may be. I just dont know what sign to look for if the water pump is bad or a simple impellar replacement. i hope that makes sense, compression is great in all 3 cylinders @ 155. have no other issues with the motor. Thank you

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You get the impeller in a water pump kit that contains every thing you need for the pump replacement. If you are going to pull the lower unit to check it, you might as well replace it.