1973 Johnson 50hp gear shift linkage

tallcanadian

Captain
I just acquired a 1973 Johnson 50hp short shaft. Model 50ES73A. I haven't had much time to fool with it, but the shift linkage on the motor seems to be either broken inside the motor or somewhere else. It's just not hooked up. Apparently a friend of the previous owner forced it into gear and something broke. Any idea what I should be looking for?
Any and all help is appreciated.

100_3771.jpg

100_3770.jpg

FillupD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 Johnson 50hp gear shift linkage

It possibly could be the clamp that secures the shift rod. It is behind the starter and lower carb. I have replaced these before. The new ones I had were made from brass and a little bit beefier. I have heard on some motors, the new clamps hit the motor housing so if you replace it, check that it travels freely.

tallcanadian

Captain

It possibly could be the clamp that secures the shift rod. It is behind the starter and lower carb. I have replaced these before. The new ones I had were made from brass and a little bit beefier. I have heard on some motors, the new clamps hit the motor housing so if you replace it, check that it travels freely.

Thanks, I'm going out this week. I'll check that out.

tallcanadian

Captain

So I went down and checked out what you told me. That clamp looks to be working okay. When I move the linkage as pictured above, that clamps moves one way for a spell, then the other. It's all smooth. But prop seems to be spinning freely as if it's in neutral. Any other thoughts?

tallcanadian

Captain

I hope you all don't mind that I bump this up. I'm hoping for some more thoughts on this. Thanking everyone for their time and expertise.