1960 Starcraft project

B King

Seaman Apprentice
OK, many followed my discussion on the Holiday. I decided to start a new one since the decision has been made and the new boat is in the garage.

First off not sure if the title my boy has shows the model? Can anyone tell from the pictures below?

starcraftstarboard.jpg

We cleaned it up. Just about to pull the existing wood from the floor. The previous owner started it but never finished it. Left outside so we figure we are going to replace it.

starcraft16bow.jpg

Not bad looking so far.

IMG-20110709-00027.jpg

I want to make it a center console. Below is the steering that came with this boat. Does anyone see a problem with it and what will I need to make this a center console and attach to the motor?

IMG-20110709-00029.jpg

Its plenty long enough.
IMG-20110709-00030.jpg

B King

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1960 Starcraft project

well we picked up a Evinrude Big twin 40. The motor looks new for the year. We got all the cables and wires. Only thing missing is the ignition key switch.

Any way to get a diagram of how to setup all the wires and cables?

Where can I get the Gluvit I see everyone using?

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

well we picked up a Evinrude Big twin 40. The motor looks new for the year. We got all the cables and wires. Only thing missing is the ignition key switch.

Any way to get a diagram of how to setup all the wires and cables?

Where can I get the Gluvit I see everyone using?

You can get gluvit here on iboat. I am sure someone will pop in here and let you know about the wiring as well.

B King

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all
Next question what does everyone use to plug holes in the aluminum. The boat has several small holes in the transom. Other than putting a bolt in and sealing, any other options?

Whats best for painting or coating the decking before we replace it? Epoxy or paint? I have seen some debates. If its epoxy what is recommended?

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

For the holes in your transom, if they aren't real big you can fill them with jb weld or marine tex. They both can be sanded down and painted. As for your floor you will want to put a couple coats of epoxy on it to seal it, then you can paint right over it. Epoxy by itself has no uv inhibitors, so it should be painted over. I got mine from www.uscomposites.com. Most go with the 3-1.

B King

Seaman Apprentice

Motor we just picked up

Evinrude Big Twin 40

Bigtwin40.jpg

B King

Seaman Apprentice

Very well kept and clean

Bigtwin404.jpg

It's actually my oldest boys boat project I am helping with. The first thing he said about the Big Twin..... it was as big as a newer 70 HP. I told him I had the same motor 20 years ago and loved it. I told if he did not want it. I would find my own boat and put it on! I got the complete package for a very good price. I just could not pass it up. Motor was taken care of, always stored inside. Engine is very clean as you can see.

B King

Seaman Apprentice

Probably not that much. Not everyone is real into the old ones. Maybe $400 in demonstrable running condition.

That is what I paid for it with all the hoses, tank, wiring, controls and cables. I will keep it around for that. I doubt I would find another motor with all the extras for $400 that runs as well and clean.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That is what I paid for it with all the hoses, tank, wiring, controls and cables. I will keep it around for that. I doubt I would find another motor with all the extras for $400 that runs as well and clean.

Man sometimes I even impress myself :p:D

B King

Seaman Apprentice

Man sometimes I even impress myself :p:D

From what I have been seeing around here you were low...I think it was a good deal for a motor in that condition with all the extras.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

People can ASK whatever they want but that doesn't mean that's what people are paying. You paid a very fair price for a motor in that nice of condition.

B King

Seaman Apprentice

Do any of my local building supply houses carry the coat-it, gluvit and proper epoxy we need to start this project. Talking about Lowes or Home depot?

He has it all stripped, surfaces roughed up and ready to go. He is going to use White vinegar. Is he making a misstake not using the alum prep?

My boy wants to start it right away. He has the next four days off and wants to work on it.

B King

Seaman Apprentice

People can ASK whatever they want but that doesn't mean that's what people are paying. You paid a very fair price for a motor in that nice of condition.

We have been trying to pick up the motors in this range and higher. They sell very quickly. They are getting what they are asking for them. Could it be the difference because of fresh water vs salt locally?