Trailer Too Short

I have a Lowe (Karavan) trailer for a Jon boat. Originally, there was a 12 foot jon on it and that boat is gone. I'd like to put a 14 or 15 foot Jon on it but with the winch post all the way forward, I'm still a foot short for the transom of a 14 foot boat.

I could extend the bunks, but am also considering extending the tongue shaft. The boat and gear are very light as I'm a minimalist.

Is extending the tongue shaft workable?

Dan

Re: Trailer Too Short

It appears that Karavan sells different length tongues. I'll price them.

Appreciate it.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

If this is a light weight bare jon then why not just extend the bunks? If you have the winch post all the way forward already it may help balance the trailer also.
Again if you are talking about a total load, boat, motor, fuel and gear of even 700# then I wouldn't be too worried as long as it doesn't exceed the capacity of the trailer. You could most likely even add another set of bunks for that jon boat cheaper than buying a new tongue.

Bunks would be cheaper, but if I want to put on a 1542 Jon, I'd have three feet of bunk unsupported by a bracket. The bunks are 2x4s. I'm thinking that much unsupported bunk end would be pretty flexible and wouldn't adequately support the transom.

Dan

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I have a Lowe (Karavan) trailer for a Jon boat. Originally, there was a 12 foot jon on it and that boat is gone. I'd like to put a 14 or 15 foot Jon on it but with the winch post all the way forward, I'm still a foot short for the transom of a 14 foot boat.

I could extend the bunks, but am also considering extending the tongue shaft. The boat and gear are very light as I'm a minimalist.

Is extending the tongue shaft workable?Dan

Your original post. 1' short for a 14' boat, extend bunks and add extras. 15' boat, 12' trailer, find a different trailer.

62larkowner

Seaman

post pics of trailor, i have a 14ft jonboat on a 4x8 trailor with threefoot tong extension and 18inch bunkboard extension out back( but used 4x4s)

Jetwash

Seaman Apprentice

You are better off supporting the transom whether there is a outboard mounted or not. By extending the bunks you change the balance of the trailer. You also hang the motor out too far past the wheels and then you are subject to bumping the prop, leaving parking lots. A tongue is not that expensive. Check out metal suppliers that sell "shorts"

Bought a 3" x 3" steel tube from a local steel supplier. It's identical in thickness to the existing tongue. Modified the trailer for $44. Now I have a new all weld Xpress 14 footer on it. Worked like a charm.

Dan