chyrsler 9.9 pull rope

Bernie Ready

Recruit
The starter pull rope on my 9.9 Chyrsler autolectic broke. Do I have to take the whole thing apart or can I just thred the rope through it? I'm afraid to do anything until I know what I should do. Thanks for your help.<br /><br />Bernie<br /><br />e-mail ready31@bigfoot.com

alcan

Commander
Re: chyrsler 9.9 pull rope

Hi Bernie<br />If I had the info you seek I would gladly send it to you. Since I don't and I am thinking the odds are slim anyone else has it or has it and has a way to send it. I would suggest that you buy a manual that covers your model. An after market Clymer should work fine. Besides your rope starter there are probably several other things you will need it for. Trying to explain how to repair a recoil starter here would be like trying to tell you how to put tooth paste back in the tube.

ShafferNY

Petty Officer 1st Class

What year is it? I have a '71 12.9hp autolectric, if it's the same, I believe you do have to take it apart to put a new rope on it. If you tackle this yourself, have a lot of patients. It would help to have a manual, so you can see an exploded view.

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bernie; I have a couple of small Chryslers, one a 9.9. About 6 months ago I put a new rope on the starter. You have to take it starter assembly apart to re-tie the starter rope to the plastic pully.<br /><br />You really need a manual for this. There is a lot of parts to this assembly. I don't know the year of your OB, but my manual covers 3.5 to 140 hp & 1966 to 1984. The number of the manual is B750.<br /><br />Chapter 10 is devoted to Automatic rewind starters. Good luck and Happy Boating. ;) Hal

ShafferNY

Petty Officer 1st Class

This topic brings up a question I have about these recoils. I recently had my recoil apart on my 12.9hp and put it all back together, and I'm wondering what it the easist way to wind the spring to the recoil? I'm just wondering if somebody may have a tip???