Can timing cause it to bog down when you mash to throlttle?

Glastron175

Seaman
I have tried two carb kits with no success. It runs fine at any speed, but bogs down anytime I advance the throttle quickly. It will keep running if I pull the throttle back quickly enough. Runs great as long as I advance the throttle slowly. Can bad timing, or the timig advance not working, cause this? I don't have the proper timing light (one with inductance pickup) for checking the timing. Any advice or comments on this??

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can timing cause it to bog down when you mash to throlttle?

Sounds more like either too lean or too rich on the accelerator pumps. Usually, I have had that when too lean. When you open it up, it wants much more fuel, and if the pumps are too lean or clogged up, it will bog.

Hard to tell for sure without being there.

Glastron175

Seaman

My engine is a Volvo 3.0GS MEFS, 3869051, SN4012036649. It has a Holley 2 ba rrel carb. The second carb kit I put in was a Holley kit.

Maclin

Admiral

What other symptoms made you want to rebuild the carb?

It sounds pretty much like the "pump shot" not quite right from the accelerator pump settings on the carb. If it is the half-a-4-bbl Holley then the pump arm is propably not linked in corrrectly and not providing any shot of fuel at all. Could also be blocked passages or nozzles.

You can check the pump shot easily enough with the engine off. Look down the throat of the carb and push the throttle forward, you should see (and hear) two full and strong sprays of fuel, one into each bore of the carb.

Are you experienced with rebuilding that type of Holley Carb?