Are stainless steel fasteners ok to use on aluminum?

kfa4303

Banned
Hi all. Just wanted some clarification. I know when two different metals make contact corrosion can occur, but it seems as though most folks suggest and use SS hardware on their aluminum boats. TO my mind, SS is the best choice regardless of any possible harmful interactions with other metals due to its corrosion resistance, but that's just a hypothesis. Any thoughts?

Racingman24

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Are stainless steel fasteners ok to use on aluminum?

Stainless steel is not supposed to react with anything. Of course if you get really low quality SS then you might have some issues.

But SS and aluminum next to each other won't cause any problems.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My experience with stainless bolts in aluminum parts...bad.

They start an electrolysis reaction, causing the stainless and aluminum to literally WELD themselves together. So later on, when you want to remove the stainless bolt, it is considered "married" to the aluminum part...to have and to hold, til death do us part. I have destroyed several aluminum heads trying to get the stainless bolts out, and end up just throwing it all away and replacing.

So, NO, don't use them together. Unless you use LOTS of lube, giving you a chance to remove them later, but no guarantee.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Stainless steel will work however, salt water accelerates the reaction. You can cut back on the reaction (which is far slower then other galvanic reactions) by using a grease or 3m5200. Takes only a second to cat a rivet, bolt or screw with 5200.

kfa4303

Banned

Thanks for the info. Sounds like SS is the way to go so long as it's sealed with 5200. That's what I've been doing so I hope it works. so far so good.