Is My Carburetor Toast?

SP3C573R

Cadet
Hello,
I just got done putting a carb kit on my 1997 25 hp 2 stroke Mercury. I cant keep the motor running without a constant prime. I have double checked everything and im confident that the carb is put back together correctly. One thing that I did notice is that the small tube that the jet sprays into has been bent all the way over to the side of the opening. I have no idea how this would of happened. I think this may be the reason my motor will not stay running. If there is any Carb pros out there would you mind taking a look at the picture I attached and tell me what you think. I have tried everything I could think of to bend the small tube back and it just wont work. Is it time to purchase a new carb? =(

carb.jpg

Thanks!

Jan

treker

Seaman
Re: Is My Carburetor Toast?

I just redid my carbs and they looked the same as what you have pictured, maybe it's normal?

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sometimes, rebuilds are poor due to the rebuild kit you purchase. Sometimes, the carb is shot beyond rebuild.

so, if you didn't use a name-brand rebuild kit, rebuild it again with one.

If you DID use a good reputable namebrand kit, it might be time for a new carb.

SP3C573R

Cadet

I used a Sierra kit. All of the gasket and diaphrams looked really good. Im just worried that my jet isnt spraying into the small tube causing my engine to no receive fuel. Can it really be normal for the tube to not be centered? (lined up with the jet)

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Nothing wrong with the carb that dip tube is installed like that from the factory to reduce vibration and keep it from breaking off, the fuel pump is not working.

Some of the small motors have the fuel pump built-in on the side of the carb, most motors have a seperate fuel pump.

Take the fuel pump apart and check the valve to be sure that they are clean, and straight.

If it is separate from the carb and you have not installed a fuel pump rebuild kit, order one.

SP3C573R

Cadet

Thank you for the Advice Charlie. I will look into the fuel pump more.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

The Sierra kit does not include all of the parts required to rebuild the fuel pump, its a seperate kit. While the Sierra carb kit includes some of the fuel pump gaskets, it also includes some parts that won't be for your carb, some are duplicates of the parts in fuel pump kit, some fuel pump kit parts are not in the carb kit like diaphrams.

Its very easy to reassemble the fuel pump incorrectly, I did mine one at a time and I still screwed up. Assuming that you remembered to open your fuel tank vent, I would suggest getting a fuel pump rebuild and a diagram, which for some reason is not included in the kits. The Sierra fuel pump kit is only another $1 more than the carb rebuild kit. Do yourself a favor and buy new ethanol resistant needles and if you have Tillotson carbs, replace the blue fuel inlet pieces ($5 each) while you're at it. The fuel inlets once removed will leak and you'll never get them to stop.

SP3C573R

Cadet

It did have fuel pump gaskets and 2 diaphrams. Is there something else that Im missing? The fuel pump body and the metal inlets look good to go. The spring and plastic tip look fine as well. What comes with the fuel pump kit that mine doesnt?

Thanks
Jan

SP3C573R

Cadet

I just figured it out! I had one of the extra fuel pump gaskets on that I didnt need. Soon as I took it off it fired right up and runs great. Thanks again for the ideas guys.