1965 Mercury 900, can I put in electronic ignition? HELP

john12225

Recruit
Ok, so I don't care about the points vs. electronic ignition debate.

My question is I have a 1965 Mercury 900 that runs great, but won't go over 2000 RPM (stays around 1800) I have cleaned & reset the carbs, replaced the gas tank, Primer bulb & hose. put in new plugs, gas, and even a new prop.
Compression is 120lbs on all 6 cylinders.
Everything seems to be pointing at a ignition issue. Since the stock points, condensor, and distributor cap are so hard to find as well as really expensive does anyone know of a good conversion or alternative out there.

mmf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1965 Mercury 900, can I put in electronic ignition? HELP

you would have to change flywheel, upper block end cap, purchase a trigger, stator, switchbox, coils etc., and the block does not have the necessary mounting bosses cast into the block for the switchbox or the coils needed. I would be a very expensive ordeal to convert the motor. Those older motors always ran very good, I would stick with the stock set-up. In your posting, you did not mention replacing the fuel pump or the rotten fuel lines. I guarantee on a motor this old, the fuel lines are falling apart on the inside. clogging the newly cleaned carb right back up when you started it. You MUST replace these with the alcohol resistant fuel line to run the gas we have now with so much ethanol in it.

john12225

Recruit

Wow do I feel silly, Never thought to change the fule lines in the motor.
I'll give that a try and let you know what happens.
Thanks for the idea!

merc850

Commander

It sounds like only half the ignition system (2 coils, 2 points) is working; one set of points fires 3 cylinders and the other set fires the other 3. Coil 1 fires 1-5-3 coil 2 fires 2-4-6 so if you want to check for spark use one of those plug wires. If it is an ignition problem or a fuel problem these guys can help http://store.eastcoastmarineservice.com/category_s/834.htm