enigine not restarting after already ran... (sometimes)

WINTERSUX

Seaman Apprentice
i have a volvo penta 3.0 in my caravelle 176f/s. after pulling the kids on the tube we stopped for about a 1/2 hr then we were going to pull again but the boat wouldn't start.. engine turned over like normal. i turned the blower on for a few minutes before trying to start. i did get it started before battery was dead but in the past i haven't. this is the 3rd time this has happened. i was thinking vapor lock and so did my dad. what exactly is vapor lock and how do i prevent this from happening?

firstboatbuild

Seaman Apprentice
Re: enigine not restarting after already ran... (sometimes)

The coils amd ingniton system could be getting hot while running at high rpms. Sometimes until the parts cool off the motor will not start. Once they all cool off everything is ok. When it wont start check to see if you are getting spark.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not so familiar with the 3.0 engine, but on the older (aka real) Volvo engines (specifically the AQ170, I-6), you many times had a PITA to start a varm engine due to the carburator overheating and creating vapor lock. Volvo fixed that by issuing an insulating (much thicker) gasket between the carburator and the intake manifold.

Might be something to look in to here as well, although the 3.0 is such a common engine so you ought to get feedback from people directly familiar with it. Also check the Mercruiser forums since it is the same block in their setup.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is a Mercruiser service bulletin on vapor lock. Same thing happens to Volvos. You might try opening the engine cover next time you are out to see if the engine then starts after having more cooling air around it.

Attachments

• SB 99-7.pdf
    31.5 KB · Views: 0