Mercruiser 470 do I want it?

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the chance to get a free mecrusier 470 complete with sterndrive and prop, I am not sure what year, Late 70s early 80s i think. I am wondering if I should take it. Will the stern drive fit where my alpha 1 is now? I would have to take the whole boat and dispose of what I dont want. Mostly I would like a spare stern drive, if it fits. It would be worth it to me if it does. Anybody know?

D

DJ

Re: Mercruiser 470 do I want it?

The number of opinions you will get depends on the number of replies. ;) <br /><br />With that said, consider the following.<br /><br />The 170 MerCruiser is very serviceable if:<br /><br /> 1. It has the alternator conversion kit.<br /><br /> 2. It has the 4" heat exchanger.<br /><br />Both of those can be added.<br /><br />The stern drive is useable on other applications if:<br /><br /> 1. It is the same gear ratio. That depends on what engine you want to put it behind.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks DJ<br />I am thinking of just keepin the stern drive and disposing of the rest, just in case my alpha grenades. I presently have a 260 hp 350 mercrusier.<br />Also you bring up a subject that confuses me. Why the need for different ratios? How can I tell the difference and what they have? And I always thought that changing props was the way to change "ratio", I didn't know until recently that there were different gearsets available for sterndrives. I thought they were all just 1:1 but I read that this isn't so. If it even matters, the props look the same between the two, but thats eyeballing and the 470 im looking at is covered with weeds and I couldn't get a real good look. Its still on the boat.

D

DJ

jimmy,<br /><br />I do not know what ratio was behind the 470. Someone will jump in here with that information.<br /><br />I wouldn't junk the 470. It is worth something. It will sell on ebay.

tfjrc2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A guy just down the forum wants the block!<br />Anyway, I had a 470 mated to the alpha on my last boat.<br />It pushed a heavy 19.5 Century Mustang along at up to 40-42 when running good.<br />The closed water cooling was a very attractive feature for the salt water guys, and we ran it for 5 years.<br />I could not bear to throw another $8-900 at it to convert the alternator to the exterior type, and this really is the biggest "ding" against that motor.<br />I'd grab it if I were you, especially if you can see an altenator.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Your V8 should have 1.5:1 gears (20/22) or 1.48:1.<br /><br />The 470 has the gears normally used for a V6, 1.84 or 1.81 (17/19)<br /><br />The lower units should interchange, but the upper gears are a bit different.<br /><br />I would take it whether it fit or not.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

i figure its gonna cost me a couple hundred to get rid of the boat, so if the 470 stern drive will bolt up to where an alpha normally would I will go for it i guess. I am in no hurry its not goin anywhere, somebody has already cut the transom up trying to get it out, all i need to do is get a backhoe and lift it into my truck. the boat will need to be cut up and disposed of. I work at a landscaping company, so getting a backhoe is no problem. I did not notice a heat exchanger, but i wasn't looking, there is an alternator, looks like its cobbled on there (aftermarket?) ill check and let ya all know. I met the guy cause im gonna buy his 17 bayliner and trailer with a volvo 4 cylinder for 1200.00. he just wants the other stuff gone from his property.

Eric H

Cadet

Jimmy,<br /><br />I posted earlier in the forum looking for a block!<br /><br />I'd be interested in the bare block if it is in fair shape. I have one that is cracked and need a core to rebuild.<br /><br />You can email me at ehoesing@hotmail.com or just reply here.<br /><br />Eric

jlwest63

Seaman Apprentice

Jimmy,<br />I am close to you and if you decide you do not want it let me know and I may take the whole thing or whatever you have left over. Here is my e-mail. jlwest63@yahoo.com<br /><br />Thanks.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am hoping to have it in my garage by the end of January, I will repost when I get it. If I can't use it I will let yall know. It looks as though If I add gas it would run, but looks can be decieving :) I have no need for the engine, just the drive so I will for sure post as soon as I get it

jlwest63

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Jimmy. I would like to have dibs on the carburator, and any tilt/trim pumps. Just let me know.