Old wooden boats

Indiana/boy

Recruit
I am looking at an old wooden fishing boat (Thompson Brothers) that is said to have been restored and the picture looks it. How do I get an idea as to possible range in pricing?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Old wooden boats

Welcome to iboats.

On something like that I think if you want to pay what he is asking it is the right price, can you even find another one to compare prices?

It isn't like a 5-6 year old boat where you can find 8 of them and see what they are selling for, he has it and you want it so you pay his price I'm afraid.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Wooden boats usually do not carry high prices, due to the lack of demand. Lack of demand is driven by the incredible amount of maintenance they require.

I presume you have several children (teens are better but maybe too smart to get involved) that you can have help you with the maintenance a wooden boat requires? You can start stripping the brightwork in Feb, and have her ready for the water by July, if you work at it, and she is in decent shape.

I fellow I know bought a 45 footer for $1K. He was the only bidder

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Here in Wisconsin there are still a good number of old Thompson and Cruisers Inc plywood boats around and from what I've seen a very clean restored one brings BIG DOLLARS. At least still around here anyways! Very collectable and desired.

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wooden boats usually do not carry high prices, due to the lack of demand. Lack of demand is driven by the incredible amount of maintenance they require.

I presume you have several children (teens are better but maybe too smart to get involved) that you can have help you with the maintenance a wooden boat requires? You can start stripping the brightwork in Feb, and have her ready for the water by July, if you work at it, and she is in decent shape.

I fellow I know bought a 45 footer for $1K. He was the only bidder

Actually classic wooden boats like Chris Craft, Lyman etc can bring huge money restored or in restorable condition. Made in America by actual craftsmen, big money.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Some valid comments, some bad ones too....LOL.

You didn't say what model or size, so nobody here has a clue. You also didn't say where you live, and that has a big bearing on the price.

Google antique boats for sale and you'll find 6 oir 8 sites with boats for sale that you can compare prices with.

What does "restore" mean? If its all original and merely has fresh paint, its worth more than one that was all rotten and has lots of parts replaced.

My 3 wood, fiberglass and aluminum boats sit side by side covered in the garage. No more or less maintenance for any of them. For a wood trailer boat that is kept inside, a fresh coat of paint and varnish every 7 or 8 years is all that is needed. It doesn't take months, just a couple of days.

Freshwater boats command a better price as well. Thompson is a sought after brand, and very well built.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

a lot depends on your use and level of "restoration." A wooden workboat in decent shape will take some, but not a ton, more work than a fiberglass one. A restored antique, seldom used, won't take a lot.
But ot bring a beat-up wooden boat to show quality, or to keep a show quality looknig that way while using it often and hard, will be a lot of work.
As Jim suggested, "boat" is meaningless. Age/size/present condition/intended use/place of use/trailer or moored--all these need to be told.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

The one boat I wish I could own is still a Thompson/Cruisers wood cuddy cabin. Couldn't afford one then and still can't afford one today. A nice one today is worth more than they cost new.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

A nice one today is worth more than they cost new.

Moat all of the classics are worth more than new. I have the factory pricelist for mine. In 1952, it sold for $800, including motor and trailer. The current appraised value is $10,000.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

A nice one today is worth more than they cost new.

I hope My Gar Wood is worth more than the $2,200 it cost new!.
attachment.php

Attachments

• gar-spp.jpg
    gar-spp.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 0

Ned L

Commander

JimS123, Home Cookin, & Tahorover are correct.

southkogs

Staff member

I hope My Gar Wood is worth more than the $2,200 it cost new!.
I keep trying to like you brother, and then you post another picture of your boat(s) ...

There's a panache with wooden boats that changes the game with them (compared to other types). Too many variables to tell you what the boat is worth. It probably boils down to two things: what type of boating you want to do (ease of use vs. maintenance and discipline) and what type of expense (is the "wood boat cool factor" worth paying out for - see photo above :D).