yamaha 15 hp 4 stroke

scotteam

Seaman Apprentice
Why would this happen?

My new motor when i open it up water comes in over the transom between the motor clamps. I adjusted motor so that it is on the 3rd pin and it stops. My only issue it when i do this the boat wont plane. When it is in the correct position it planes well but the water comes in.

notes: not sure if this has anything to do with it or not. I had a long shaft motor on the boat prior. thus i purchased a long shaft motor. the transom is 17 inches top to bottom in center. Now 15 inches is what a short shaft is. The long shaft does stick down a little to far. Anyway i bought a bracket to go on the back of the boat to raise the motor height the amount i need to adjust it perfect to boat. that probably will take care of the problem but i am unsure and that is why i am asking. (the long shaft four stroke yamaha is longer then the 2 stroke long shaft johnson i had by about 5 to 6 inches.)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: yamaha 15 hp 4 stroke

If you cannot adjust the motor height so that the anti-ventilation plate (just above the prop) is level to 1" above the bottom you will need the jack plate, Scott.

Good luck. :)

scotteam

Seaman Apprentice
Re: yamaha 15 hp 4 stroke

What you are saying is this is what is causing the water to come into boat. I have a jack plate coming that is designed for my motor. It will be here Monday. One thing i think i will like about the jack plate is all motors have a long tiller handle. I don't like it. The design of the boat does not allow enough room for the length. Thus by having a 4 inch offset it should help.