oil mixing with water...poss winter damage?

Hi Sea Medic

Recruit
Hi This will be my first post. This (2011) will be my first season with this 1985 sea ray sporting a OMC 5.0l I/O...last winter snow piled up on the tarp above the engine...little did I know that during the thaw that snow, now water was draining on the top of the engine. When preparing for boating I found the engine with near 0 oil and full...I mean full of water. It was in the cylinders as well...oil had filled the bowl of the carb..likely water pushed the oil up and out...well that explains the mess under the rear drain plug hole.

I have drained the oil...wd40'd my cylinders...compression test shows all cylinders @ around 155psi except one which is at 20psi....

I cleaned and reinstalled plugs, cleaned carb..etc to see if shed start/run...brand new oil/ filter...

Once the fuel bowl filled she ran well...had a bit of shake at first but after some throttle it ran smooth.

Prior to my first start I started it without water cooling just to see if it would go and it did....then I added water....

My dip stick shows milky oil/water mix which raised up the dip stick 4-5 in....lots of white exhaust smelling smoke...and oil oil/water exiting the exhaust in the stern drive.

also found small trace of oil/water milk in the exhaust manafold.....

sooooo....Im not sure if there was any water in the engine prior to thaw so im not sure if there is a chance of cracked block or heads ...

from what i gather I may be having a head prob or head gasket prob or do I known a chevy 305 anchor?

any takers.

run2car

Seaman
Re: oil mixing with water...poss winter damage?

It sounds like it was not winterized. With the amount of water in the engine it sounds terminal.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: oil mixing with water...poss winter damage?

Howdy,

Welcome to iboats!

I have drained the oil...wd40'd my cylinders...compression test shows all cylinders @ around 155psi except one which is at 20psi....

Well, you didn't say if you actually drained the block, manifolds and cooling system for winterization........ Also, If you had snow-melt drain into the carb, you HAVE to assume that it could have also re-froze. Depends on how cold it gets around there (cold enough to snow?)

If there's any way you can drain the oil through the pan drain you'll probably get more water than if you just try to suck it all out.

Changing the oil a couple of times and running the engine is probably not going to cause any more damage than is already done.

Having a 20psi cyl is a show stopper though. Sounds like valve is not closing.

Change your oil a few times using cheap 10w30 Run the engine long enough to get it hot. (use muffs or take it to the lake)

Some people also suggest dumping a little (qt or so) diesel fuel in the oil to help emulsify the water so you can easily drain it out. I am reluctant to do that but I know it's been done successfully.

I suspect however, you'll be looking for a long block. Is it a GM 305cu-in engine? Get a truck 5.7L engine of the the same vintage from a wrecking yard, put brass core-plugs in it and swap your accys over.

Sorry about that!

Rick