Speedy Sleeve part number and seal part number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autotech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Scared to ask this question because I read all the post on the 470 over the years.. :eek:But here goes.. Does any one know the part number of the speedy sleeve and seals number for a 1985 470 Mercruiser engine. On the end of the camshaft for the circulation pump. Owned this boat for 14 years and this is the first time I've had a leak problem. Pulled the timing cover today and want to order seals tomorrow. Thanks in advance for your help.
Bobby

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Speedy Sleeve part number and seal part number

You need a gasket set (7,8 & 20) and seals 2 (2) & 3 (1)here: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...88/35.png&inbr=908&bnbr=170&bdesc=FRONT+COVER When you put the cam seals in make sure they both face forward (garter spring side) away from the block. You need to measure the diameter of the cam to get the correct size for the speedi sleeves. There is a thread here somewhere with the size some of the guys used. You should be able to get the gaskets from Sierra (18-4380), probably seals too. Punch in the part numbers here on iboats. Also some NAPA (Permatex) aviation sealant.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

OK got this in a pm from VIC1 a while back:

"We used a sleeve of 0.870 as measured with the micrometer and purchased 2 just in case something happen to the first one. We used both of them together to make sure we covered the entire area the shaft was worn. Since there was a little play on one of the sleeves the locktite (#620) held in place well."

Absolutely can not guarantee that will fit yours, but should be in the ballpark.

BTW did not use sleeves on mine and has held fine for 8 years.

Autotech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Terry, knew there was a site some where. My Shaft cleaned up pretty good with emory cloth might just try it without the sleeve.

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

"We used a sleeve of 0.870 as measured with the micrometer and purchased 2 just in case something happen to the first one. We used both of them together to make sure we covered the entire area the shaft was worn. Since there was a little play on one of the sleeves the locktite (#620) held in place well."

I do not recall which number I used but you'll definitely need two sleeves to do the job, one isn't wide enough to cover both sealing areas. I didn't have to loctite mine, but I did slightly warp the timing cover putting the seals in - even after being as cautious as possible and pressing the seals in with the cover on a flat surface... Still used my cover after some modification but keep this in mind..

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

but I did slightly warp the timing cover putting the seals in - even after being as cautious as possible and pressing the seals in with the cover on a flat surface... Still used my cover after some modification but keep this in mind..

You can say that again,;) I managed to crack mine last time I took it off:mad:.

3jerryswp88

Recruit
I have a Mercuiser alpha 1 outdrive 1979 era that has some seal cuts to the lower unit water pump shaft and I'm needing a speedy sleeve number for it ! Do I need two of them and if so how do you install two of them without problems of getting the impeller housing on ?
They are shouldered are they not ?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a Mercuiser alpha 1 outdrive 1979 era that has some seal cuts to the lower unit water pump shaft and I'm needing a speedy sleeve number for it ! Do I need two of them and if so how do you install two of them without problems of getting the impeller housing on ?
They are shouldered are they not ?

Start your own thread. Your post is off topic unless you are working a 470 camshaft seal. And you aren't. Also this is a thread from 8 years ago

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.